No announcement yet.

Anybody tried growing pepino

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm... I was about to ask this question myselof as have been given some seeds.... now I don't have to

chrisc

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
      They grow to 1-2 foot high, but they are quite bushy and the branches droop. I sometimes stand mine on an upturned pot to keep the branches off the ground.

Hopefully a photo attached, shot was taken at the begining of November.
      Wow they look really impressive! Do you tie them in to anything or just let them 'flop' so to speak?
      AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
        Wow they look really impressive! Do you tie them in to anything or just let them 'flop' so to speak?
        Flop, they seem to manage just fine, although you would think the stems would snap! I just try and keep the fruit off the ground
        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I tried it last year and grew it in a large pot in the greenhouse. It grows quite tall. I only grew one plant and got 7 fruits from it. The fruits were around fist size and were very sweet and refreshing and I still have 2 on the plant. Even though my greenhouse is frost free I brought the plant indoors seen as the weather was/is so severe this year (i still have 18" of snow in my garden and cannot get into the allotments cause of the snow!) As it was inside though my dog brushed against it and knocked a branch off it! I put this branch in water and it rooted in a few days so I now have 8 cuttings which I am giving away now! The flowers look like potato flowers but are purple. I just let them flop but keep fruit off the ground and fed fortnightly with tomato feed/seaweed alternatly. But definately worth a try! Good Luck!

Comment

One thing I found from growing them last year is that they ned to be really ripe before you get the best flavour. Leave them until they are golden with purple patches and the stalk is brown. The taste then is a bit like a melon. If you eat them too early they taste like a sweet cucumber!

HTH

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X