No announcement yet.

Romanesco

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You grow them just as you would grow any other brassica. Therefore they need plenty of space, feeding, watering and netting against cabbage whites. There are some early strains of Romanesco as well as late strains which helped me to spread the crop. After picking the central stem, I find that Romanesco will crop again with smaller heads just like broccoli.

Comment

Is Romanesco classified as broccoli or cauli?Just curiosity,when I was browsing seed suppliers website,some claasify it as cauli,some as broccoli.

Comment

You're right Coreopsis, there does seem to be some confusion, not too sure as the taste and look is somewhere between.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I grew some because I love cauli and broccoli and I thought they were pretty. I think I planted them too close together because they did not 'head' properly - it was more like PSB than a cauliflower. Bit disappointing though the bits that I did cook tasted good. I shall have another go this year and give them more space and TLC.

Comment

As TS sez, easier than caulis to grow, and nice flavour. GYO gave some seeds away years ago with the magazine which I still have and will be dusting off again this year
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I wasn't going to grow any brassicas this year,now I'm wondering...
              As for taste-it's probably personal preference-some commercially grown veg just look like veg but have no taste at all

Comment

Good to grow and great too eat !
                I would highly recomend it, just take the usual precautions as with any brassicas.
                The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

I grow them and they're yummy!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

This will be my first year of vegetable gardening so I have never grown them, I have eaten them though and I love them. I bought some seeds today so I am going to have a try at growing some and see how they do.

Comment

Hi Trowelanderror - I just had to respond at this stage 'cos I love your vine name and had to say welcome!
                      On the subject of romanesco - you have to catch these at just the right stage - I waited 5 days too long and the resultant curd was bitter...
                      Ah, well, that's rank amateurs for you
                      PS - is this the right time to talk about the Fibonacci series?
                      Last edited by Jeanied; 23-01-2010, 08:16 PM.
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Romaesco and marmite..............
                        Sounds a disgusting combination to me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                          I was going to mention it when Alison accused Romanesco of being "rather ordinary"
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes, and next we can talk about the Mandelbrot set.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              I was going to mention it when Alison accused Romanesco of being "rather ordinary"
                              I meant the taste was rather ordinary not the appearance and general make up

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

On the subject of romanesco - you have to catch these at just the right stage - I waited 5 days too long and the resultant curd was bitter...
                                I'm really sorry for the late reply thankyou for the welcome.
                                You say you have to catch them at the right stage, how do you know when the right stage is?

As a by the way I recently found out Waitrose sell this, we had some tonight and it was so nice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X