• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window sills!!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I sow most tender/early things in an unheated propagator inside and move them to the unheated greenhouse when the weather warms up a bit although I suspect all my south facing windowsills will be full this year judging by the number of new tomato and chilli varieties I have to try. Later crops are either sown direct (parsnips, potatoes, carrots)or started in small pots or modules in the greenhouse (beans, courgettes etc.).

Comment

As we probably have a similar micro-climate to Flummery I do what she does in general except broad beans which start in the g.house in loo rolls so they don't get lost (to mice and slugs). The 'weird' things I like to grow, I usually start in the house so I can watch them. OH says I do that so I can sleep with them.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Potatoes and onions - sown direct

Everything else - started in the greenhouse
          A good beginning is half the work.
          Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Under cover in a greenhouse or polytunnel - early peas in drainpipes, runner, French, bolotti and broad beans in root trainers, early salad crops in modules / trays, cabbages, kale, PSB, caulis etc also in modules, also onion seeds in modules and herbs in small pots.

In a propagator - chillies, aubergines and peppers in a heated propogator, toms, cucs, tomatillos etc in an unheated one but all taken out as soon as germinated. Many of these plants will gradually be potted on and out to the greenhouse before they get to their final position.

I sow direct into beds outside - chitted spuds, onion sets, spring onions, cut and come again salad, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, swede, radish and turnip

Basically, with the exception of root plants, I prefer to get the plants off to a decent start in modules before letting them get scared off by slugs etc. The root crops are fine and don't like being transplanted so I let them do their own thing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Window sill, table by window, Airing cupboard all with the aid of cheap plastic propogators.

Comment

I tend to sow very few seeds direct, the only ones really are carrots, radish, turnips & swede which don't really like being transplanted too much. I normally sow into modules / pots in an unheated propagator or with clear bag over the top, larger seeds such as pumpkin, cucumber, peas & beans. Indoors on a warm window sill (again either in an unheated propagator or pot covered in clear bag) I start off the likes of tomatoes & chillis. This year i have invested in a windowsill sized heated propagator so i can get an earlier head start on things such as chillis & tomatoes which require a longer growing season or seeds that sometimes prove to have unreliable germination rates.
                Jane,
                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Pretty nearly everything started under cover of some sort - chillis & tomatoes & basil in a heated propagator, broad beans & french beans & brassicas in root trainers, courgettes in root trainers then into pots (or sometimes direct into pots), beetroot & salad leaves in modules in cold frame etc etc - even parsnips I germinated on paper then moved to toilet rolls before going out...
                  I try to get most things a bit bigger before they risk onslaught of slugs :-(
                  cheers
                  Salilah

Comment

I don't have a greenhouse so everything is either started off in the kitchen in a propagator or on the windowsill in a pot covered with a plastic bag or is sown direct outside. The only things I tend to put straight in the ground though are carrots, radishes, onion & shallot sets & chitted potatoes in pots & tubs. I think it gives the plants a better chance against slugs, snails, pests, diseases etc. if you start them off indoors & then harden off & plant out later.
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Combination for me too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X