Pea germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea germination

We had very poor success with peas last year, sowed hundreds but very few germinated or survived and produced only a handful of pods. We hae boght some early onwards this yr as sister in law had sucess with these last year. we were going to start them off in pots as usual but hubby saw an article in the paper about pre germinating peas on damp kitchen paper so we are oing to try this method but he has left the article at work and can't remember whether the peas should be placed in the dark or light to germinate???
    Thanks again
    Katie

you can soak it overnight to give it a good chance. I'm rubbish at peas too (only have about 50% germination :/ ) but find that it increases if i soak it overnight and then sow into damp compost. cover with propagator lid and RESIST urge to water until the soil is dry-ish to touch.

Comment

This is the first time I've tried peas but put some Feltham First in about 2 weeks ago and have had 100% germinate. It does say on the packet that they can be grown in a seed bed and covered with cloches but as I haven't got any and the ground was frozen I tried sowing in the inner tubes from toilet rolls. (Cut in half and filled with multi purpose compost)I didn't soak first, just watered slightly and placed in front of the window in the spare room. Every one is looking good but as the the weather is still so awful I'm wondering if I've started too soon as I don't know what to do with them now! Anyone know if peas should be pinched out like sweet peas?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave & Kate N Wales View Post
        We had very poor success with peas last year, sowed hundreds but very few germinated
        the mice would've eaten them (or pesky pigeons). Sparrows eat the leaves in early spring too.

I always chit my peas & beans. Just like you would beansprouts: soak overnight in cold water, drain into a bowl.

Rinse every day, plant up (or sow direct) when the sprouts appear.

Dark or light doesn't really matter.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I just bung them in pots or root trainers. They come like weeds. I don't plant them out till they are about 4" high. By that stage they can cope. Mice nick them as seeds but don't seem to bother with them once they have roots and shoots.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

roottrainers; taking some to the lottie this weekend to plant out [see my root trainer thread for the good root system that these marvelous inventions provide]...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave & Kate N Wales View Post
              We had very poor success with peas last year, sowed hundreds but very few germinated or survived and produced only a handful of pods. We hae boght some early onwards this yr as sister in law had sucess with these last year. we were going to start them off in pots as usual but hubby saw an article in the paper about pre germinating peas on damp kitchen paper so we are oing to try this method but he has left the article at work and can't remember whether the peas should be placed in the dark or light to germinate???
              Thanks again
              Katie
              I grew some last year for the first time.

I soaked them for a couple of days then put them on some damp kitchen roll in a sealed spread tub and put it under the sink, they germinated in a couple of days and I had 100% germination.

I started them too early though as a newbie, was a bit eager and they got a bit leggy.

I filled some toilet rolls with compost and put one pea in each one, then transferred them into pots as they got bigger.

I did put too many in the pot though, 4 in a 12" square tub so will put one in a Morrisons flower bucket this year and have 4 of them grouped together.
              Last edited by 21again; 20-02-2010, 08:39 PM.
              Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Thanks, i have started some off today and will see what happens!!!
                Katie

Comment

last yearI started mine off in guttering , with a propagator lid made out of 2 litre lemonade bottles cut in half longways,when they're about to touch the lid just slide them out into a pre dug trench.
                  don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                  remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Never bother chitting, just shove them about their own size deep in guttering. Sowed enough for a double 4' row last weekend and they're all though in my cold greenhouse already from last years saved seed. Don't let them get too wet in the soil or they might rot but so long as nothing eats them then they're a doddle, maybe you had duff seed last year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

When they go in the beds how do you get them to attach themselves to bamboo wigwams? Or do you tie them on somehow?

cheers
                      Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
                      That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

No, peas have side shoots that have long curly suckers which hold onto whatever is around them.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
                          last yearI started mine off in guttering , with a propagator lid made out of 2 litre lemonade bottles cut in half longways,when they're about to touch the lid just slide them out into a pre dug trench.

Fantastic idea using 2 ltr pop bottles as propagator lids for guttering, will be using this method in the future

Not started any peas yet holding off for a few more weeks as the weather is so rubbish

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X