No announcement yet.

do you have a favourite spud?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never had a Charlotte fall in the pan. I grew Sante one year. I found them very dense. Didn't like them at all.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      ............... If you leave Charlottes in a bit longer you get realy big spuds too.
      Just like big bars of yellow soap! Yuk!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My 1st early's Aaran Pilot there were gorgeous, and the main crop Maris Piper got them from Wilko's

Comment

I have growm various varieties with varying results.
          Charlotte - have grown this every year, good yields, no problems with scab.
          Duke of York - very popular up here but not high yield. Lot of small tubers
          Red Duke of York - slightly better performance than the white veriery.
          Foremost - excellent potato, very high yields, very quick to mature.
          Lady Christl - I rate this above Charlotte but couldn't get seed last season.
          Edzell Blue - superb second early - makes amazing mash.
          Maris Peer - quite what the English see in this soggy crap is beyond me.
          Rooster - excellent performer, very high shaws which is a pain.
          King Edward - Love this variety - very consistent.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Desiree,Desiree,Desiree -that's the best for me.I like also King Edward,Golden Wonder and good Roosters-last batch I bought was so-so
            I'm ignorant when it comes to earlies-I'm going to try Kestrel and maybe Ulster Classic.
            I'm not a big fan of Charlotte(falling apart in the pan and),PFA(nothing special about them)and Maris Piper(feel free to paste Snadger's description of overgrown Charlotte)

Comment

my favourite are duke of york(white) the best i have tasted.This year i have
              duke of york
              orla
              desiree
              king edward
              maris bard
              golden wonder
              pentland javelin
              charlotte
              rocket and another two which i forget so once i am settled with 3 or 4 i will know what to grow each year

Comment

Pink Fir Apple.... best tasting spud ever.... OK not the easiest to prepare cos of knobbly, and it's a late main withe a lot of foliage for the crop yield.... but it's the taste... brilliant in late salads and gorgeous roasted or fried (even better, roasted in a yorksire batter like a toad in the hole...
                Love Desiree and King Edward but they get scab on my soil.... Growing a lot of experimentals this year, a couple of wacky colours, an attempt to grow really big maincrop bakers (Spirit vs Pentland Dell vs Valor), some other salads, Rocket vs Swift in the greenhouse, Rocket vs Swift vs Mimi vs Lady Christl for outdoor first earlies, Setanta vs assorted sarpo's for blight resistant spuds (hope that all I'm doing there is tasting them, not testing the blight resistance)... even got some Smile cos they looked so cute

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Just like big bars of yellow soap! Yuk!!
                  Not at all - wonderful to make chips with!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                    ANYA nice waxy spud great for potato salad
                    Seconded!

Also, if you can get them, Roseval are a delicious waxy red potato that we've found very prolific.
                    All at once I hear your voice
                    And time just slips away
                    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

A garden centre I found by mistake the other day (it's HUUUUUGE too - amazing!!!) had a load of spuds in there - I got some roosters today, just to try, only about 5 like (they sell them loose) - on the plague it said they're resistant to slugs, blight, and scab - so may be suited to you?

Although they may not be rooster... they def began with an 'R' but I can't remember the name for sure

Going to have to go back (yay) and check out what they were, which is great as no doubt I'll end up with more goodies.

Comment

I like Orla as first earlies. Make excellent chips, and blight resistant as well.

Comment

I have egg boxes with Lady Christal and charlotte chitting. OH is being very precious about growing in the ground, but the Pink Fir Apple were just the best tasting spuds ever.
                          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

I have just bought a 10kg bag a Saxon seconds. The blurb says they are good for everything particularly mash so I am going to take out a few for chitting. They are rather large and some have eyes. Shall I take off the eye section and chit that or chit the whole tatter.

Comment

I only grow earlies in pots & tubs & my favourites at the moment are Winston, Lady Christl & Colleen.
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Another vote here for Kestrel. I grew these last year and they were lovely. Also grew Nicola second earlies, indifferent, Romano main crop, good, and Desiree maincrop, the best. However, I have to grow in containers and could only grow enough maincrop to last us for two months, so decided to give the space to the Kestrel and make do with bought spuds for the winter. Don't eat many anyway so flavour is most important.
                                Last edited by annacruachan; 26-02-2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X