do you have a favourite spud?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
    I have just bought a 10kg bag a Saxon seconds. The blurb says they are good for everything particularly mash so I am going to take out a few for chitting. They are rather large and some have eyes. Shall I take off the eye section and chit that or chit the whole tatter.
    You might get more answers to this query in the "Potatoes Made Easy" thread Bren? But if it was me,I'd chit the whole potato

Comment

My favourites are Charlotte (Second Early), Harlequin (Early Maincrop salad) and Desiree (Early Maincrop general purpose). Unfortunately, Harlequin aren't available this season
      I also adore Anya but the yield is generally pathetic, so I haven't bothered with it this year.

Comment

Moris Piper !
        Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

I had poor yields last year from International Kidney and good results from Lady Christl (both in G/H borders). Charlottes were a waste of space. Pink Fir was worse than Desiree in the plot but I did get blight in July. Vivaldi in bags did OK until escaped chickens trashed them. Two years ago I had a trial of Vales Emerald - very tasty.
          This year I am chitting Lady Christl, Red Duke of York, Vales Emerald, Maris Peer and Desiree. I will grow the first earlies in the G/H borders again but lift them earlier to make way for the G/H tomatoes. I have bought about 9 potato grow bags and having (hopefully) fenced in the chickens securely, will have these on the patio and paths.
          Last edited by alandbailey; 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM. Reason: wrong name

Comment

Charlottes every year - great for salads when small and the bigger ones make great potato wedges.

Would love to try Kestrel but can't get hold of any locally. Am not doing maincrops this year as we have serious blight problems, though Cara have been reasonable in the past and make fab mash/roasties. I can buy a sack of Roosters cheaply from the local farmers so it's uneconomical for me to grow them myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X