No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a good read through this. I have a (very) raised bed in my garden. Its 2 ft deep and probably 12ft long. I wish I had used this method to maximise the space in that.
    I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work just as well in that except I'd have to be careful about the tall veg shading the others.
    Newbie but learning fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by cazp View Post
      Wow, they look good. Wish I had that much space!

I only have 2 x 4ft square beds and am thinking about interplanting to get maximum use of the space I have, and I had this idea today..

I would love to grow Sprouts but they take up 4 squares which is more than I really want to spare for just one plant. I wonder if it is feasible to plant something around the edge of the 4 squares whilst a sprout plant is growing in the centre - perhaps little gem lettuces, rocket, or (pushing the boundaries further) even parsnips?

Don't know the growing pattern of sprouts to know if this would work... any advice appreciated. Thanks
      According to this link, sprouts can be grown @ 14-16" spacings so if you have 4 squares you could put one 2" in from each corner giving you 4 palnts with 20" spacings. Hope that makes sense.

Tim's Square Foot Garden Plant List
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I have a question too! Does the framework for the individual square inhibit you when weeding or planting out. So, do you weed each square individually, when its empty? And do you plant within the square, rather than to the outer edges of each square - as you would if you were planting a row?
        I'm sure that doesn't make sense but I know what I mean
        Yes you are right VC, it doesn't make sense but so long as you know what you mean, that's all that matters.......................seriously though, my framework is string so doesn't really get in the way when weeding (but if I do happen to catch it & snap it, it's no big shakes to just tie some more onto it), you have to be a little careful with the hoe though. I plant within the square, no plants are on the string line.......I'm sure that doesn't make sense but I know what I mean.........
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah_rance View Post
          Had a good read through this. I have a (very) raised bed in my garden. Its 2 ft deep and probably 12ft long. I wish I had used this method to maximise the space in that.
          I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work just as well in that except I'd have to be careful about the tall veg shading the others.
          Put the tallest veg to the most northern end of the bed.

Comment

• Thanks BM. I can see that string would be easier to work with than canes or something rigid. From your photos I imagined little mini-plots, each one tended individually, but within rigid confines so that you could only weed each square - like trespassing if you crossed the boundary. I know that's rubbish! I suppose its because I can't grow anything in a straight line, that the thought of growing within a square is doubly daunting. Somehow, Sarico's pots seem more understandable

Comment

• It's the same principle VC, each square is treat as an individual bed or pot.

Comment

• I know that really. its just that I can imagine picking up individual pots and moving them around, like dominoes or something, I can't imagine being precise enough to plant within a string defined square. But that's my problem - its not one with the sq. ft system. I'm just too random I guess

Comment

But that's my problem - its not one with the sq. ft system. I'm just too random I guess
                  That's what I like about it, so far in my SFG bed I have, Leeks, Welsh Onions, Beetroot, Lettuce, Petunias, Nasturtiums, Garlic, Chives, Raspberry, Gooseberry, Red & White onions, Rhubarb plus stuff I am sure I have forgotten about. I am just using it for any spare stuff I have. I like the none formality of it.

Comment

• That sounds quite attractive, in a formal sort of way! Maybe if I saw a sq ft bed it would make more sense! Perhaps I should find a square somewhere in the garden and try it.

Comment

That sounds quite attractive, in a formal sort of way! Maybe if I saw a sq ft bed it would make more sense! Perhaps I should find a square somewhere in the garden and try it.
                      I am looking forward to it been in full flow, I used it a couple of years ago and thought it looked great. All the different sizes,colours, textures, smells in one picture.

Comment

• It sounds like a decorator's chart - a page of sample colours to choose from before you paint up the big wall!

Comment

• Just to save you trawling the thread VC, this is my beds 2 years ago. I used canes then but didn't get on with them.......I did not do any growing last year........
                          Attached Files

Comment

• It does look attractive and "jumbled up". I can't do straight rows so that is more appealing. Don't think I'm organised enough though to stick within the squares. I'd have to have another sq ft bed to put the left overs from the first one

Comment

• That's the beauty of it, you don't have to stick to the squares. For example, I planted 9 onions in a square & only 7 came up so I've bunged 2 beetroots in their place.

Comment

• Sounds a bit like my cooking!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X