No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If memory serves me right they were Evesham, heeled in hard with a sprinkle of lime round each plant. No canes were needed for support. I think it was pidgeons that were the problem as they looked like they had been pecked at. They were edible once the outer leaves were removed.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Oh Bu99er, trust me to choose tomorrow for my 2nd challenge......all I want to do is mark my SFG but it's turning into one of those 5 jobbers, you see I've got to take the rhubarb out of the SFG bed first, before I can do that I have to move the compost bin so I can make a new bed to put the bladdy rhubarb in.......I blame VC cos then I could have stuck with my 2ft square beds instead of 1ft x 2ft square beds......now I don't know what I'm talking about. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1076823
      You're confused? What about new readers!
      So the plan is still 2' square beds but they're 2 square feet rectangles instead
      Double the original size. but half what you were proposing?
      Which way will be the 2' side? If its across the width of the bed, you're making life easier for yourself as you only need one central wire (down the length of the bed) instead of 3? Or have I misunderstood as usual?

Comment

• Now I'm confused but it's still your fault
        Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• But you're not meant to understand it, Shen
          But BM, King of SFG, is

Comment

• It's 6 & 2 x 3's VC. I can either put one down the middle & 25 across the width.....or.........3 down the middle & 12 across the width...........what does that give me Vorderman cos my heads frazzled.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• I've "planted" my kitchen floor tiles in different layouts and concluded that it might be better to have 3 down the middle! Then you could plant the inner rectangles with taller plants or those that are in situ for longer, and plant the outer rectangles with lower growing or quick maturing plants that need more attention. All purely hypothetical and I know I'll get the blame whatever you do!

Comment

• Decision made. I'm going with 1 down the middle & 24 across the bed...............My reasoning?........well, due to my dodgy back I was thinking I could have the same crop from the edge to the middle rather than have 2 different ones & leaning over one to get to the other, my 2nd thought is to have a row of marigolds either side of the middle line (so that's 48 plants, 1 in each square) reducing the reaching distance even more.....plus it'll look pretty...........

Comment

• I knew you would go with the opposite of whatever I suggested - but you've reasoned it out and it sounds like a good plan You could mix Marigolds and blue cornflowers -that would look stunning

Comment

• So now I've got to go looking for cornflower seeds, anything else whilst I'm out there?...........

Comment

• Something white would be good too .....white cornflowers?
                      EDIT - Ignore that ^^^. You wouldn't be able to plant 3 colours symmetrically enough to keep you happy
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• You may be onto sommat there as Leeds colours are yellow, white & blue.................maybe not..

Comment

• I always have nasturtiums - very pretty!

Comment

• Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                            I always have nasturtiums - very pretty!
                            Funny you should mention Nasturtiums Patch, I have just marked out the bed 1'x2' rectangles, I think they are going to be more manageable. There are about 100 Nasturtium seeds dropped from last year but I'm just gonna dig them in if they appear as they took over last year and dwarfed some of the veg............

Attached Files

Comment

• I like that ^^^. Looks a lot simpler to manage than having 100 squares. What happened to the rhubarb? EDIT just read the answer at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1077150
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-01-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Bigmally, your beds are looking fab. I find my nasturtiuma seem to drape over he edges ofnthe beds. PerhapsnI haveba droopy variety....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X