No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just gonna make a point rabbit but you seem to have it in mind, make sure your tallest plants are at the most northerly end of your bed to reduce shadowing as you are planning on growing tall stuff.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I was just gonna make a point rabbit but you seem to have it in mind, make sure your tallest plants are at the most northerly end of your bed to reduce shadowing as you are planning on growing tall stuff.
      If there's one thing I've learned from pouring through all 28 pages of this thread is that tall plants are to be Northerly! The rest seems to be up for a fair bit of discussion!

Now, if only I knew which are the flipping tall plants (I'm guessing not carrots )

Have been loving your photos too Bigmally!! Brilliant, love the windmills too, my boy is obsessed with windmills so I'll get some too.

Comment

• Rabbit, can you add your locatiin, please?

Comment

• Originally posted by rabbit View Post
          Have been loving your photos too Bigmally!! Brilliant, love the windmills too, my boy is obsessed with windmills so I'll get some too.
          That confused me a little rabbit then I remembered it was in a previous life.........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Hey, sorry if this has already been brought up, but how many brussels sprouts to a square foot would you say? It'll be my first time growing them this year if I manage to get the beds in, so any advice would be appreciated, but mainly I am curious about spacing. Thanks xx

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalk_Heart View Post
              Hey, sorry if this has already been brought up, but how many brussels sprouts to a square foot would you say? It'll be my first time growing them this year if I manage to get the beds in, so any advice would be appreciated, but mainly I am curious about spacing. Thanks xx
              I'm sure it's 1 brassica plant per sq ft?

Comment

• Yep I was right, well there's a first time for everything - here's a link that BM originally posted earlier on in the year

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...5TaXc&hl=en_GB

Comment

• Thanks That's exactly the sort of thing I needed.

Comment

• Last year I planted one per sq ft CH but they were pecked by the birds. This year they are going undercover........

Comment

• Oh goodness I have a plan. It's nutso.

Planning is 9/10ths of the battle right?

Attached Files
                      Last edited by rabbit; 24-01-2013, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Rabbit, I would consider putting the sunflowers on the most northerly beds so as not to shade the cucs. Put one either side of the cucs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Rabbit, I would consider putting the sunflowers on the most northerly beds so as not to shade the cucs. Put one either side of the cucs.
                          Ah thanks Bigmally, I've just googled them (autumn beauty) and I'm very surprised to see they can get to 6ft!!!!!, I thought because there werent giant ones the'd be more like 3 so it wouldnt matter! Great advice. Looking at the plan makes me sort of panic. At least some of the things will go out direct and some will be started in the coldframe/inside.

Comment

• Never panic, it's supposed to be a pleasurable experience not a stressfull one. Just enjoy & learn from any mistakes you make. Believe me, I've had a lot of learning to do.........

Comment

• I'm thinking of doing this for one of my beds this year. What do you make the frames of out for squashes to climb? I've seen bamboo structures, would a grid of canes be strong enough given that my garden is rather exposed? I haven't grown squashes before so I have no idea how many fruit per plant or how big the plants grow, just that I can expect them to be large!

Comment

• If I had the option, I would not grow squash in a SFG bed. If you want to grow them vertically, play safe and fasten a structure to a wall if poss. Just throwing my 2penneth in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X