No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just came on the forum to post a question about square foot gardening and found this post, it is just what I was looking for! I need to have a good read through but I expect this question has been asked, my apologies for asking it again.

I have a border in my back garden which is my main planting space, though I have space for quite a few pots too. It is about 4 metres long and around 1/2 metre wide (although the width varies along the border), I might try to remove some of the crazy paving to make it a bit wider but it won't be wider than 1 metre. My long term plan is to build raised beds, but I can't afford it this year (it's my first proper year of gardening) so was just going to plant in the border and see what happens.

My question is, is it possible to do square foot gardening without raised beds? And can I just use the soil that is there, with some compost dug in?

Thanks!
    Last edited by IndigoElectron; 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
      My question is, is it possible to do square foot gardening without raised beds? And can I just use the soil that is there, with some compost dug in? Thanks!
      Yes & Yes.........just prepare your bed as you would normally, bare in mind when using manure if growing carrots & parsnips though. Use canes or string to mark your Sq Ft bed..........36 squares should give you plenty to start with...........enjoy.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Brilliant, thank you :-) I've just measured my growing space and have loads more room than I thought - in total there are around 36 squares, though these vary in size because the border varies in size too. So I will need to do a bit of juggling. But overall I'm really happy with what I will be able to do and can't wait to get started!

As an aside, I've started reading the Square Foot gardening book on Google books and it is brilliant, really well written and such an inspiration. I will be popping to our local library later on and seeing if they have it in.

Comment

• I'm confused. Why can you fit so many veg in a square with square foot gardening but when planting in rows they have to be so far apart? I would like to give this method a try but I can't get my head around how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• I don't think the spacing is any different, Brassicas are still planted 1 foot apart, onions 4", likewise with beetroot etc. It just gives an advantage for someone with limited growing space to increase their types of crops without planting a full row.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Must just be the pictures I've seen then as square foot veg always seems loads closer...

Comment

• It's most likely because of different types of veg. If a whole sq ft bed was planted with say onions, it wouldn't look any different to planting in rows with the exception of the foot markers.

Comment

• Ok thanks I can get my head round that one!

Comment

• I did a few beds a couple of years ago and had brilliant results, I think the different types of veg & flowers mixed together confuses the beasties...........It looks good too IMO.

Comment

• I'm going to give it a try this year I think. It's a rectangle bed but I'm assuming this is ok? So long as the individual squares are the right size

Comment

• I did 2 foot x 1 foot and found it more manageable.

Comment

• Good to know thanks

Comment

• Just play with it & do whatever suits you.

Comment

• Have just measured the bed I dug a few months back thinking I'd get about 6 squares in it but I clearly have no sense of distance as it'll fit 18! Very happy bunny 😀🌱

Comment

• Jobs a good 'un Mumbles...........don't forget to put your tallest plants on the north side of the bed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X