Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runner Beans - now I've never tried that!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have managed to keep runner beans over 3 seasons but as they age the yield falls off. The advantage is an earlier crop but it is quite a faff to dig up, trim and store the roots in the autumn.

Comment

Funnily enough was reading my seed saving book yesterday and it mentioned exactly the same thing as a way of ensuring that you have beans true to type in a second season considering they cross fertilise so easily. It said there that you can only do it for 2 or 3 years though as they get weaker over time which sounds like what Rana has found.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Might be an idea to do it with a few each year to get a jump on the next year, but grow them in a bit where something else will be going once the seed grown ones come on stream....

re: Flummery's post.... I though CToT was a shelling bean?

chrisc

Comment

Trail of Tears can be used as either fresh or dried, I grow it for fresh and it's very good.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Something else you can try.
            Imstead of the useuall way of setting the bean canes as in wigwam style like this /\
            try this method \/ that way the beans hang outside so easier to get to also they get more light
            i done this for a few years works well for me

Comment

Interesting idea Tigress but with the weight of greenery don't the inverted wigwams become unstable? - It is sometimes a problem keeping a normal wigwam upright!

Comment

Originally posted by chriscross1966 View Post
                Might be an idea to do it with a few each year to get a jump on the next year, but grow them in a bit where something else will be going once the seed grown ones come on stream....

re: Flummery's post.... I though CToT was a shelling bean?

chrisc
                I prefer it fresh - it's my favourite fresh green bean. I don't find the seeds inside big enough for shellers - I go for Bird's egg for that.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X