perfect container for parsnips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    My friend grows lovely parsnips in an old bath at her allotment. What were the cereal boxes Rocketron? I've tried the S button, but can't find anything.
    I don't remember if a specific type was mentioned, merely breakfast cereals (corn flakes etc.)
    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

I've grown them successfully in pipes before! One metre or longer if you like, 4 inch diameter plastic drainpipe is good. Stand them together (I had five) and put a couple of ties around the whole lot to stop them falling over. Fill each pipe with a sandy loam and plant three parsnip seeds in the top of each. If all three germinate pull two out to leave the strongest in each pipe.
      This should give lovely straight, long, meaty parsnips!

My next plan is to stand the drainpipes alongside a fence and tie them to it for a bit of height in the allotment.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've tried growing carrots and parsnips in plastic drainpipes (mainly for showing...ie long, strait,no fly and with as much root as possible)...must say Snadger...I found it difficult to keep them wet enough. Tended to get hairy looking things.

Best results from old dustbins.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
          I've tried growing carrots and parsnips in plastic drainpipes (mainly for showing...ie long, strait,no fly and with as much root as possible)...must say Snadger...I found it difficult to keep them wet enough. Tended to get hairy looking things.

Best results from old dustbins.
          The 'soil' I grew mine in was from my leek trench. Probably not as sandy as it should have been so wasn't so free draining. I didn't need to water very much at all. They were stood on soil as well, so once the roots got to the bottom they could seek their own water.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X