No announcement yet.

Butternut Squash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter vines + more fruit per foot I guess.... but they certainly got about as I recall. Productive though.

Comment

Hi
      Im thinking of growing some butternut, How big do the plants get, how many fruits per plant ( average ), do they grow across the floor or do you train them up canes. Do they prefer the greenhouse or outside.

Comment

hi mrscorpio,they scramble over the ground,if you put some pegs in the ground each side of the stem in the direction you wish is it to travel,i have even moved it gently in another direction,but the plant can send out roots at variouse points,thus getting more of what it needs from the ground,
        my son grows from supermarket seeds,and his ramble where they like,i posted about this last harvest time,BUT,i cannot post links,so here is a pic
        Last edited by lottie dolly; 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
          hi mrscorpio,they scramble over the ground,if you put some pegs in the ground each side of the stem in the direction you wish is it to travel,i have even moved it gently in another direction,but the plant can send out roots at variouse points,thus getting more of what it needs from the ground,
          my son grows from supermarket seeds,and his ramble where they like,i posted about this last harvest time,BUT,i cannot post links,so here is a pic
          WOW - do you supply asda

so 1 plant would spread across how much land?
          Could it spread over a stone path or patio or does it need to spread over soil.

Comment

they do take up a lot of ground,son had lots of plants,last year he mulched them and his rhubarb with leaf mulch,it keeps in the moisture,
            we both have allotments,and he only grows a few things,so room is no bother,all of them ended up at our home,glug glug,and still have about 6 left,will have to cut and freeze for summer use ,
            don't expect loads from 1 plant,ref as others have said,i have tried to grow shop got seeds,and cannot get mine to look like his ,i put envy aside lol,because i never go short
            last year 1 of mine took it'self up the brassica cage debri netting,they was ok,but a bit late in the season,so not very big,however the netting doe's sagg with the weight,
            go forth and experiment,just to add,son did not feed them,
            have fun good luck,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X