Looking after your water butt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking after your water butt

I have a water but for the first time and looked into it to-day to find it nearly full, but the water looks very dirty - brownish colour. Do any of you use products to keep it clean, free of algae and not smelling?
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Why is the water brown, is there mud getting into it?

I have goldfish in my water butts ( to eat the mozzie larvae, and coz they're nice )
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

my butt has a piece of black plastic over the top,held in place with some bungee cord.Some slits are cut in the centre.A few pebbles are placed on the top

Water still enters the butt,as no light enters algae cant grow,no debris can enter either

Simples

Comment

I have a bag of manure slung into each of mine, so the water is lovely and fuggy. Good for the crops when we DO use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I have goldfish in my water butts ( to eat the mozzie larvae, and coz they're nice )
          Tell me more TS - how big is the water butt, how many goldfish, - is there a lid on the butt or do you leave it open to let the light in- is it on the lottie or at home - do they live there all year round and do you put weed / food in for the goldfish? Just a couple of questions really!!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

the water butts are standard size (100 litres)
            There are 2 goldfish in each - I leave them open to let the light in
            They used to be on the lottie, but are now at home - they live there all year round (they survived this cold winter - in deep water - without a problem, and I didn't lift the ice out every day either).
            I feed them pellets April - November
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hmmm - now I'm thinking - but I reckon between the cats and the herons round here my little waterbutt stands no chance - it is a water 'copper' which catches the rain from my kitchen roof. Never mind - think again!
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X