Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes - where do I go from here?

Hi everyone!

I planted some tomato seeds (Roma VF) on the 17th March which have been sitting on my windowsil since and am really pleased with how they've grown. Most of the seeds have sprouted and I have about 13 plants coming on nicely.

I have attached a picture for reference!

My question is about potting them on. The pack says to plant on individually when they are approx 4/5" tall. However, mine are currently only a couple of inches (just about!) and are already very 'leany' (for want of a better word!). I try to turn the pots every day as I realise they reach for the sun.

Is this why they look as bendy as they do or do you think they're starting to need support?

When would you guys plant these on?

Thanks,

Emily
    Attached Files

As yours are several in a pot, they will need to be potted on before the roots start to tangle up.

But looking at the photo, I would leave them for another week to grow a little larger - less fragile and less risk of breaking something when handling..

No doubt someone will have a different view :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
      As yours are several in a pot, they will need to be potted on before the roots start to tangle up.

But looking at the photo, I would leave them for another week to grow a little larger - less fragile and less risk of breaking something when handling..

No doubt someone will have a different view :-)
      Great, thanks! If I give them another week or so, will they wany planting on and keeping on windowsil or if I harden them off can they go out in final position on patio?

I don't have a GH, wishing I did though!

Comment

I would do exactly as Madasfish suggests When you transplant them remember to hold them by their first two baby leaves - less stress to the plant and plant them in new pots right up to the first proper leaves.
        RtB x

Comment

It's still too cold to put them out unfortunately. Probably won't be feeling fresh air until May at the earliest depending on when your last frosts. You could harden them off by taking them out each day if it is warm but I wouldn't do this until late April/May anyway.
          RtB x

Comment

I agree with Madasafish (hmm, does that make me mad too ) but would add 2 things:

1) if you put some kitchen foil on the room side of them that will help stop the leaning by reflecting the light onto them.

2) when you do pot them on you can plant them deeper if they are a bit leggy. Typically people bury them up to their seed leaves. Tomatoes and some other plants will develop extra roots on the part of the stem that is buried.
            Last edited by HotStuff; 08-04-2010, 11:43 AM.
            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RobintheBobin View Post
              I would do exactly as Madasfish suggests When you transplant them remember to hold them by their first two baby leaves - less stress to the plant and plant them in new pots right up to the first proper leaves.
              It's still too cold to put them out unfortunately. Probably won't be feeling fresh air until May at the earliest depending on when your last frosts. You could harden them off by taking them out each day if it is warm but I wouldn't do this until late April/May anyway.
              Robin,

That's perfect, thank you!

So when you say to plant them up to 1st proper leaves, does that basically mean that I will be covering all the stem currently visible so the top of the plant effectively becomes the bottom? (Sorry, prob a silly question but still new to this!)

Looks like my windowsil will be remaining busy for a while yet then!

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                I agree with Madasafish (hmm, does that make me mad too ) but would add 2 things:

1) if you put some kitchen foil on the room side of them that will help stop the leaning by reflecting the light onto them.

2) when you do pot them on you can plant them deeper if they are a bit leggy. Typically people bury them up to their seed leaves. Tomatoes and some other plants will develop extra roots on the part of the stem that is buried.
                Hotstuff,

Excellent tips, thank you!

Foil idea sounds great, they're all over the place ATM!

Extra roots sounds good, guessing this means stronger plants and if my mom's toms last year are anything to go by, they need it - got diseased and v unhealthy!

Comment

Hi emily84, looks like your tom seedlings are coming on well.

You might want to leave them for week or two more and then pot on once their first true leaves have come through properly and they're a little sturdier. Just be careful not to damage the roots too much when separating the plants and put them on into individual 3-4" pots.

Until then keep them on the sill and in the sun as much as possible and keep turning the pots, they're only leaning towards the sun and shouldn't need supporting just yet.

Good luck with 'em.

Comment

they become bendy becasue they lean/ grow towards the light....Gardeners World suggested lightly brushing the plants with your hand every so often which will strengthen the stem.
                    Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
                    Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
                    Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by emily84 View Post
                      So when you say to plant them up to 1st proper leaves, does that basically mean that I will be covering all the stem currently visible so the top of the plant effectively becomes the bottom? (Sorry, prob a silly question but still new to this!)
                      Yes - make a deep hole with a pencil or a dibber, hold them gently by their baby leaves, lower them in until (if the hole is deep enough) the base of the baby leaves or the first lot of proper leaves are a teeeeeeeeeeny bit above the soil and firm them up.

Job done!
                      RtB x

Comment

Yes - make a deep hole with a pencil or a dibber, hold them gently by their baby leaves, lower them in until (if the hole is deep enough) the base of the baby leaves or the first lot of proper leaves are a teeeeeeeeeeny bit above the soil and firm them up.

Job done!
                        Thanks robin! last question (i think!), what size pot would be good for each individual plant? I'll need them to stay in it until big enough and suitable weather to go outside

Comment

it's better to pot them up gradually than put them in a big one to start with.

Comment

These are my Roma VF. Eight weeks old.
                            http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LQ48oi3xb0...t+week+011.jpg
                            Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X