It's all rather exciting!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's all rather exciting!

OK I'm struggling to contain my excitement.

My new greenhouse was delivered yesterday and I spent all day today in the garden leveling the ground and putting down the Ecobase ready for the main event tomorrow....building the greenhouse!

To be honest I'd still be out there doing it if the missus and I weren't off to see Riverdance tonight at the Bristol Hippodrome.

Anyhoo. Roll on tomorrow. Hopefully I'll manage to get it all together over the next two days and start putting the majority of the plants in the house out and reclaim some space indoors.

I'm also looking forward to see what else I can cramb into the space once I get some decent staging in place.

I'll put some pics on here once the thing is built as long as no-one thinks I'm showing off or anything.......

Yey how exciting would love a proper greenhouse, you make sure we have picies and its not showing off at all.

Have fun tonight and even more tomorrow

Congrats
    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Nerdgas, i can still remember the total excitement I felt when I got my first greenhouse, my OH had to drag me in and then it was black dark. Many years later I am still attached to my GH and can only be seen coming in when hunger strikes.
      I hope your new GH gives you as many happy years as mine.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Greenhouses are WONDERFUL

Comment

They are a wonderful thing, I get up in the morning and wander out, coffee in hand, in my dressing gown to just check that all is well!

Comment

..and such lovely weather at the moment ( I hope you have it there too???)
            ...hope you really enjoy your day and it's a straightforward job!

Piccies!!!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

OK piccies below!

Not quite as advanced as I'd like but I'll put that down to having to finish at about 5 as the missus was going out and I need to look after the little un, having a two year old wanted to know what I was doing and asking the same every 10 mins and building it on my own!

Oh and I managed to forget to put the door trim on, attach ones of the crossbars on the door and put the end caps on the glazing that I have fitted so have a bit of rectification to carry out tomorrow!

These just show the Ecobase and greenhouse base just prior to construction

Frame is up!

Progress made today.

Comment

It looks the same as mine, a Halls, but with polycarbonate.

That eco base, could you put it just around the edges so you could grow in the middle?
                And what do you think of the base?

Looks good btw
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Looking good nerdgas, very similar to mine. I put mine on breeze blocks as I needed the extra height......The next project is to build yourself some timber staging. It never ends.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

sorry to butt in on the discussion, but I've tried sending a pmand you're not receiving them BM.
                    Is there any chance you can ressurect your tumbling compost thread with pics please?

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                      It looks the same as mine, a Halls, but with polycarbonate.

That eco base, could you put it just around the edges so you could grow in the middle?
                      And what do you think of the base?

Looks good btw
                      Not sure just putting it around the edge would work that well.

Firstly the tiles are about 500 x 500 each so you'd probably need to cut them down (which you can do with a saw).

Secondly the tiles link together with pegs which I expect lends them more strength and stability so you might find the support to the base would be compromised.

As for the Ecobase system I have also used it for my shed.

I found Ecobase dead easy to lay. As it is a tile system I could make sure each tile was level before adding the next so I could be sure the whole base was not twisted thus causing issues with frame twist. In short I leveled the mud as best I could and then put down the membrame. Each tile went on top and I popped some pea shingle under each tile where needed to get the exact level right. Slow but worth it to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Looking good nerdgas, very similar to mine. I put mine on breeze blocks as I needed the extra height......The next project is to build yourself some timber staging. It never ends.
                        I think I might just be lazy with the staging and buy some!

Last edited by nerdgas; 10-04-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Job done!

Ran out of pea shingle tho. Need another visit to Wickes.

Comment

Looks Fabby! Perhaps some pic needed now of whats growing!?!?!
                            http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok next dilema.....

I would like to be able to 'lock' the door somehow mainly to prevent a curious two year old from going in and having a 'play' with the plants.

I just know he'll go in there and starting shaking them if I give him half a chance!

Anyhow. Has anyone been able to get hold of a suitable lock/latch that they could recommend?

I guess I could just use some wire but I'd like it to look reasonably nice.
                              Last edited by nerdgas; 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X