No announcement yet.

OK, who got hit last night?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.5 at the coldest spot and 6.6 at the warmest in the GH lovely outside now though.

Comment

I'm further south than most of you, and I had a thick layer of frost this morning. Went out to the patch and was greeted with the grim sight of a row of dead sweetcorn. Also a dead squash which I put out as a test. My fault for being optimistic about the English weather.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post

I'm hoping so dude, my spuds got frosted a couple of nights ago.

Ooooooo......i know what you're saying, nothing worse than frozen sprouts!! It like they disappear??!!!
        Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
        Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
        Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
          I'm further south than most of you, and I had a thick layer of frost this morning. Went out to the patch and was greeted with the grim sight of a row of dead sweetcorn. Also a dead squash which I put out as a test. My fault for being optimistic about the English weather.
          I've been over-optimistic too, but had been getting away with it (put my toms out a month early), who'd have guessed there'd be such a late frost?

My squash are out too, but only in little pots and I've cloched them so got away with that one
          Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
          Snadger - Director of Poetry
          RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
          Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
          piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I didn't get hit last night but the previous night I did. Lost my Basil, Tagetes some of my beans and my potatoes got hit but should be big enough to make a quick recovery. My tomatoes in a cold frame are fine.
            History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I've decided to wait until Saturday then most of my tender stuff is going to have to go out.
              I'm normally pessimistic about the weather, but have been proved wrong the last couple of years, so started everything earlier this year
              It's all starting to get pot bound and needs to go out.

Hopefully, most of the worst night weather will have gone by Sunday and I won't have to fleece everything that is going out, because basically, I've ran out of things to cover other things!

I hope all of you that lost stuff, it either recovers, or you have spares. Still not too late to resow most of it either.

Everything of mine seems to have survived. I'm not getting complacent though, it only needs one colder than expected night and I could lose everything.
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Light frost here - I'd covered my spuds int he shed with news paper - and under them it was reported to be a min of 6C... quite suprised that news paper can insulate that much?!

Metcheck said it would be -3, otehrs said it'd be between 3 and 4..

Not checked my sweet corn yet, thats the only other thing I'm concerned about.

Comment

No frost in Paisley (near Glasgow) for the last 3 nights, despite warnings. I have been carefully swaddling everything best I know how, particularly my potatoes as it's the first year I've grown them and would be devastated to lose them.

I'm really, really sorry for those who have suffered losses and hope everything that's just frost-nibbled (as opposed to frost-bitten) comes back fine.
                  Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Three rows of our early spuds...the annoying thing is,Monday night I was going to earth them right up but didn't get 'round to it
                    One of the 'Old Uns' assures me it should only be leaf damage and that it's happened to him before and although he didn't get a great crop they resprouted and carried on growing.
                    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Frost here in Wiltshire - there was some on the cars first thing this morning. I've decided to cover everything or bring it indoors until the end of the month (fairly easy as everything I'm growing is in pots).
                      Not had any damage yet, however things are growing sooooo slowly.

Comment

Yup- me too!

All my spuds and French beans
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Kiwi looks pretty sad but I m sure it will recover. Lost a cobnut squash but my uchi kuri & golden nugget squashes are fine. Luckily only planted one tom in a pot & that seems OK & I got away with my runner & climbing beans as well.

Comment

some of the spuds in bucket got a bit black but that's about it so far.

minus the slugs that are still chomping at my brassicas no matter the weather!!

Comment

Quite a bad frost on the allotment, i've lost all my sweetcorn, the beetroots in the cold frame and most of my french beans!

Comment

Originally posted by trish60 View Post
                                Kiwi looks pretty sad but I m sure it will recover.
                                Mine got hit a few weeks ago and has sprouted again, I've been winding an old curtain round it the last 3 nights and it's been ok.
                                It has crossed my mind that next year when it gets much bigger and is all tied up to wires on the wall, how I'm supposed to protect it....
                                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X