Parsnip germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hazel,
    Log into the 'What I've done Today' thread (as well as looking at books/mags etc.) and you'll be able to pick up what other Grapes are doing right now, which will give you an indication of maybe what you SHOULD be doing!!!!
    Lots of luck for this season. PM me anytime if you need a larf, a seed or a shoulder to cry on (!)

Comment

Thanks, Wellie - your support much appreciated!

Comment

I use the Jiffys for all the Brassicas, Celeriac, Florence Fennel, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes, Aubergines, Chillis, Peppers, and tiddly seedling that would be a nightmare to prick out, like Lobelia & Alyssum. On the whole, if you're not growing too many of one particular thing, it saves time on fiddly pricking out, and gives you more time to do a multitude of other things !

Comment

Back to the parsnip thing........ a supplementary question - how long will it take (roughly) for the parsnip seeds to sprout on damp kitchen roll so that they are in a state to sow in the ground?

Trying to work back from planting the seed in the ground - say - mid march and wondered when to put the seed to sprout.

Comment

I have been germinating some parsnip seed on damp kitchen paper (as suggested on the Vine) and I have potted some sprouted ones up into module trays to grow on. Will I be able to successfully transplant these plants into the plot or do parsnips need to start completely where they are to grow? Thanks for any replies.

Comment

Sorry Hazel, I missed your last posting, and I'll look up in my last year notes to let you know how long they took to germinate on the paper approx. Bear with me....

Hi LostthePlot ! It's not such a great idea to transplant the germinated Parsnip seed into 'Modules' on account of the main (tap) root reaching the bottom of the module and getting distorted in growth. Unless, of course, you've transplanted them into Rootrainers, where you could maybe 'get away with it', and if that's the case, just ignore the rest of my ramblings here....!

I did that my first year of growing too, not realising that the tap root is of course the immature parsnip itself, so if it gets damaged/distorted in growth, you end up with that kind of unusable root to cook with. Does that make sense?

Armed with the delicately-put and kind words from a very helpful and more experienced gentleman, I ditched my first attempt, and re-sowed and transplanted the germinated ones into compost filled toilet roll cardboards, and have never looked back since, because you just plant 'the whole thing' and it grows away without restrictions.

I hope my answer to your question has not left you feeling as devastated as I was 3 years ago!! It's early yet for Parsnips, and generally there's that many seeds in the packet that it's really quite feasible to just start again and know that your Parsnips are going to be 'right'.

I wish you every success with them,

Comment

No worries, Wellie - I look forward to hearing from you when you've found the info. I put half a row of parsnips in at the Hill yesterday, but I want to do the other half on the kitchen paper so I can see the difference for next year.

Comment

Wellie - thanks for the great reply. I had heard/read? somewhere that parsnips in pots ended up as 'mutants' and I really wanted clarification of this. I WILL ditch the first attempts and carry on with toilet rolls, save any dissappointment later. Thank you again.

Comment

I've sown parsnips as late as April and still had excellent results.
                    Some of the veg I've used jiffy 7's for are onions, leeks and peas. Although the net that surrounds them is supposed to be bio degradeable I try and take it off at planting (if there are no roots poking through it) as I think it retards root growth!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Pleasure. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it's best to learn and go forward, and I'm thrilled that you are. Good luck with them.

Comment

Hello all,

Very interesting thread this, can i just ask where would you recommend keeping the (hopefully) germinating seeds?

I have put them into a boiler cupboard which is dark and quite warm i have also put cling film over the plate to step it drying out - no action yet....Do you think this wil work?

thanks
                        Steve

Comment

Personally speaking I put my on a plate sandwiched with damp kitchen roll covered with cling film and just left it in the kitchen on the worktop. My seeds are germinating fine, faster than I can keep up with. Update - I think I am going to transplant the seedlings in the modules, compost and all into their final resting place on the plot before the root system gets too big in the module. Good job we like parsnips!

Comment

i hope this is not a stupid question
                            my parsnips are doing great on kitchen paper all have got little white feelers on the seed

now for the daft question when i plant them in the ground does the feeler thingy go down or up
                            again please me when you have stopped laughing
                            regards

anthony

Comment

should read please foregive me

Comment

The little white feeler thingy is the root so it goes down. As parsnip seed os flat I would just lay the seed on th compost and cover it with a bit more and let gravity do the rest. Iv'e never pre germinated parsnips as I never seem to have any trouble with them germinating.

Honestly I didn't laugh we all have to start somewhere
                                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X