Parsnip germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello ifcjohn,

Bottomless egg box thingies would only work if you planted the pre-germinated seed in them and then within a day or two, planted the egg box thingy into it's final growing spot. Otherwise the parsnip seedling taproot would get distorted, which is why toilet roll cardboards are good, because the taproot has to go a long way down before that point is reached.
    Clear as mud?....! Good luck with it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about toilet rolls. Have been busy making pots from newspaper, but Dexters Aunty Margaret has now got her four bridge clubs collecting toilet roll middles for me!........leave it a couple of weeks, if anyone in the Preston area needs any........... Bernie aka Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

This morning as the snow fell and stopped me getting to the plot, I made long paperpots, well 12 of them, and I sowed my first ever ever parsnips, 2 seeds per pot.
        My train of thought following the info on here was that when the weather settles, and soil warms they should be ready to go straight into the ground. I will repeat this exercise next week and slightly stagger my harvest I hope. Bit I love Parsnips so a glut would be eaten
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
          Waffler,
          This is 'my take on it' from what I did last year....
          I pregerminated the parsnip seed on damp kitchen paper on 4th March.
          By 15th March, the seeds were starting to show signs of germination.
          This was done within the confines of the cottage, so probably between 10 and 18 ish degrees C within that time.
          I hope this helps with the germination side of your question.
          And yes, if you are able to put a cloche over the area you will be planting your Parsnips, then even better. Double Bubble.
          Hope this helps.
          thanks Wellie, you are talking about 11 days from paper to germination. Mine are still sitting on paper cluttering up one of my baking trays in the kitchen and being moved fro worktop to worktop as we have not space! I started them last Thursday (root day) and not a smidgen yet. Am getting a bit anxious, but will heed LJ;s advice and put some in the ground when it's a bit warmer. Really want to grow loads though, as the parsnip wine is a treat and curried parsnip soup was lovely.
          Last edited by madderbat; 22-03-2007, 08:43 PM. Reason: soup not soul!!

Comment

Hazel at the hill, Greetings. Germinating Parsnip seed, My old grampy always used to plant his seeds straight in the ground like this,, Put 3 or 4 seeds in a (clean) cigarette paper and screw the top just like those little salt packets we used to have in crisps,(giving my age away now). It's worth a try surely. Why not buy another packet of Parsnip seed and try the kitchen towel method as well.I know which method you'll stay with. Very best of luck to you.
            Tomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomas View Post
              .....Put 3 or 4 seeds in a (clean) cigarette paper and screw the top just like those little salt packets we used to have in crisps.......
              Now that's a good idea, Tomas - saves the lightweight seed whizzing all over the allotment in the breeze!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X