Which one

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one

If you could only choose one variety of onion to grow, either from set or seed, what would it be?

Can you include its yield, taste and storage qualities.

Can't tell you yet since I had no success with the onion sets I planted last summer - however (since I was lazy and didn't dig them up) they are growing now and may come to something for this year!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Probably seed Shirl lol.

Comment

Oh well, if that is the case I will have one bit of garden with pretty flowers
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Kelsea from seed, yield good, size big to 'kin massive, taste surprisingly sweet, stores wel into spring usually.
          Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Showmaster from Marshalls bought as young plants. It's an exhibition size onion with a fabulous flavour and great 'crunch' when eaten raw. I never have enough to store.
            [

Comment

Can't answer that Q pw as I'm still playing with varieties and combinations although currently in the lead for survival are the sets I bought from Wilkinsons and Mr EB planted out last November.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My 2 faves are 'sturon' and 'red baron' from sets.

Comment

A few years back I grew some Bedfordshire Champion from seed. I started them off in the greenhouse quite early and planted out when they were small spring onion size. Surprisingly they did really well and stored better than the onions I'd grown from sets. I think it was a year I watered everything with comfrey/manure tea, so maybe that's why they ended up huge. My memory is not that great about how they tasted, but I think they were quite mild. I always plan to try them again sometime, but but sets are so much less work.

The book Square Foot Gardening gives a method for raising your own onion sets, so I might give this a go with some Bedfordshire Champion later in the year and see how they do that way.
                  All at once I hear your voice
                  And time just slips away
                  Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Same as lyndap!
                    Red baron do get a bit soft around the neck with storage though...
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've grown 'Mammoth Improved' from seedlings in the past & am trying seed this year. I only grow them to normal size though as I plant them quite close together but they taste lovely.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Same as Lyndap and Nicos. I find they store very well too and are superb for plaiting.
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Red Pearl from seed good storer and superb taste

Comment

I grow Sturon and a Japaneese variety (can't think of the name offhand but it begins with an S and ends with a U ) anyway thats what i normally grow from sets.
                            Am going to try Kelsae next year if i can get seed as it is never on sale here.
                            I have been happy with these two but would like to try Kelsae to see if i can grow bigger onions.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I thought we once grew a variety called 'sturon globe' from sets which we though was better than the sturon we'd grown previously?

Quite liked 'long red florence' from seeds too as well as 'red baron' from sets (if only so I can say 'curse you....'! )

....oops thats more than one isn't it?!
                              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-02-2007, 06:03 PM.
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X