Broad beans, paranoid

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans, paranoid

I've consistently had problems getting a decent crop broad beans in early summer (not problems with late summer ones!) in my current garden.

I've been out inspecting just now and, call me paranoid, the bees seem to be ignoring the beans, spending their time exclusively on some tastier flowers... Am I imagining it?
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

They aren't essential, but insects will increase the crop. Have a look at this older thread: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post685276
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks. That was interesting, though not very reassuring. I'm not quite sure why the bees (of which there are plenty about) don't seem enthusiastic about my broad beans...

Or perhaps they visiting when I'm not looking! I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.
      Garden Grower
      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

As I remember most bees don't have a long enough tongue to get at the pollen on broad beans so it will depend on what type of bees you have seen as to if they have any interest in your beans. Unfortunately I can't remember the details though

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          I'm not quite sure why the bees (of which there are plenty about) don't seem enthusiastic about my broad beans...
          the flowers might have already been pollinated, or they might have had the nectar robbed by bumbles (which bite the back of the flower to steal the nectar without doing the pollinating), or they might just prefer the nectar in the surrounding flowers.
          This is about runners, but same principle: Royal Horticultural Society | Advice Search | Runner beans: failure to set pods
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-06-2010, 07:14 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X