Bonus crops?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus crops?

We've had a few things 'pop' up on the plot recently, 'volunteer' spuds and garlic, plus a lot of celery seedlings (perhaps I should have moved the seed heads a bit sooner last year), now as they arent causing a problem, we decided to leave them alone to grow (will probably rule us out of the allotment competition for tidy plot again this year), at least until we needed the beds for something else!

Well, today we harvested enough new spuds for 2 of us and 24 bulbs of garlic from volunteer or bonus plants! It got me to windering, what do you do remove the volunteer and keep the plot neater, of let it grow and enjoy a bonus crop?

Whats been your best bonus or unexpected crop?
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

So true. My favourites got to be hardy annuals like mustards, red orach and tree spinach. You sow once and let them flower and seed, then you got them forever.

Comment

Wow, that was certainly a bonus.

My hasnt been vegetables, but a wild (or oriental poppy) FIL gave it to me a few years back in my old house. I was taking some plants (ok, a lot of my plants) with me to this house and last summer the poppts came up again.
      This year (even though i collected the seeds last year and have sown them) the poppys are coming up everywhere, even in the tiniest wee crack at the bottom of the house wall.......I love these and seem to get all sorts of colours, even though the original ones were purple (now i know there is a proper explanation about the colours, but i dont know what it is.

If i were to get any bonus veggies, i would keep them....all food on the table plus, i couldnt bear to get rid of something growing unless it was a nuisance.

veggiemama
      If someone has lost their smile, give them one of yours. :

Children seldom misquote you. In fact they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Comment

Originally posted by Veggiemama View Post
        My hasnt been vegetables, but a wild (or oriental poppy)
        I bet it was an opium poppy? Big fleshy glaucous leaves, as opposed to green hairy ones?
        Zazen sent me seeds of a nearly black one, and I already had a very lovely red one at the lotty, and a double. Every year I get loads of horrible mauve coming out too, so they go straight on the compost heap.
        This year though, nearly every poppy is a double red, lush.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We get loads of opium poppies coming up every year around here, I think they used to grow them a long time ago near this area for opium.

I've always wondered, just out of interest, if I could make a "crop" out of them
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
            I've always wondered, just out of interest, if I could make a "crop" out of them
            Apparently the white one is the most productive, and it's the latex-like sap that's used, not the seeds (otherwise we'd all be tripping out on poppy seed bread) The opium fields of England... heroin-producing poppies grown to make NHS pain-relief drugs | Mail Online
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-06-2010, 06:47 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Apparently the white one is the most productive, and it's the latex-like sap that's used, not the seeds (otherwise we'd all be tripping out on poppy seed bread) The opium fields of England... heroin-producing poppies grown to make NHS pain-relief drugs | Mail Online
              I wondered when I googled imaged the opium poppy I got white ones in Afghanistan.
              The ones round here are mostly pink, with various different shades.
              They're legal to grow, but illegal to cut for the purpose of collecting opium I think.
              Even if you accidentally cut one with a knife while harvesting something else.
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I have volunteer spuds this year too Mrs D. Pigletwillie said I should dig them up in case of blight but since they will be ready long before that I left them

On the poppy front, can you use any poppy seeds on bread or is it a specific variety? I love poppies and bought my first papaver for the garden this year (don't usually grow flowers)
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Volunteer spuds have supplied us with small amounts over the years - when my youngest child was small he used to love to pick them.

The most prolific volunteer in the garden here is borage - first sown over 20 years ago and still coming up in profusion in various spots in the garden - I love its flowers and use the leaves to make a garden feed, don't normally use it for anything else, though I believe it can be used. I love it though.
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

My pea bed is full of rocket & I m now having to pull it up from all over the garden as there is only so much rocket you can eat. It s lovely though!

Comment

altho i havent got an allotment, i did get a volunteer crop in a way. my old chilli plant surprised me by growing chillis this year, it was rather neglected last year and did product anything and was just left in a corner somewhere. and as im new to growing your own i didnt know chillis could be kept for another year bonus!
                      http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

I get a lot of weeds

Comment

The biggest surprise on the new allotment has been that the large unidentifiable thing in the corner is actually horsehadish! So much horseradish that we'd actually need to buy a herd of cows to use it all up! Anyone know of anything else to do with it...

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                            I have volunteer spuds this year too Mrs D. Pigletwillie said I should dig them up in case of blight but since they will be ready long before that I left them

On the poppy front, can you use any poppy seeds on bread or is it a specific variety? I love poppies and bought my first papaver for the garden this year (don't usually grow flowers)
                            In Alys Fowlers book The Edible Garden she mentions using" Opium poppy, papaver somniferum,corn poppy, Papaver rhoea, Arctic poppy, papaver nudicale and all their resulting cultivars And also the seeds of love in a mist tho they aren't the nigella seeds that are sold."
                            Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Thank you cupcake, thought it best to check before I poisoned us all
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X