Mangetout too big?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LolaLou View Post
    BM - this may be a daft question, but how do you get them to grow so tall??? I planted Oregon Sugar Pod (I think!) last year and they grew about 45cm (and a fair little harvest still) and this year I have grown Golden Sweet which are beautiful plants and flowers (which I had my first harvest from last night....and they are delicious!!) but again, they have only made it about 1meter high (and I was exepcting nearly double). Any ideas/tips???
    I grow both in ordinary garden soil and get 4 ft from OSP and a good 5 - 6 from GS. I raise them in modules or root-trainers first so they get off to a good start. Otherwise, I wonder if you have a very windy site and maybe the plants are struggle to get higher?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I think you may be right Flummery, I think it is the wind. Our site is very open, which is great for sunlight but not great for the wind! I grew them in root trainers (I can't praise these things enough!) and popped them in on a double sided frame with Borlotti growing up the other side for protection, but of course, their foliage is not dense enough yet to provide any protection....plan foiled!! I might have to try and improvise with some kind of a wind break next year!

Comment

The height maybe down to the variety LL as they also have massive pods......."Carouby de Maussane"
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

/me runs off to moreveg.co.uk to check out the seed range.

I suspect this is part of a guerilla marketing campaign on behalf of moreveg.co.uk. Hoewever, to give you the benefit of the doubt and to answer your question... if the peas aren't fully developed then you haven't left it too late.

Real seeds also do a giant mangetout variety called 'Bijou' Giant Sugar Pea
          Last edited by maypril; 21-06-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maypril View Post
            /me runs off to moreveg.co.uk to check out the seed range.

I suspect this is part of a guerilla marketing campaign on behalf of moreveg.co.uk.
            Not at all, pm me if you want some, I have just pulled all of mine up, they were taking over & shading my fruit bushes. Bad planning on my part, I did not know they grew so tall.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

All my crops are short; it's a very windy site. Where I've managed to erect a chickenwire frame for my peas, they are getting a bit taller: 4ft instead of 2ft. The chickenwire is filtering the blast of the wind a bit
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                All my crops are short; it's a very windy site. Where I've managed to erect a chickenwire frame for my peas, they are getting a bit taller: 4ft instead of 2ft. The chickenwire is filtering the blast of the wind a bit
                Maybe that's the secret TS, mine were near a wall, very sheltered with lots of pm sun.

Comment

My mangetout are only less than a foot high. They're extremely prolific though.. I've had loads from them.

Have a few pods on them now, which look like they contain proper peas in - hoping to save them, do I leave them on the plant to dry out completely? (can't remember if I asked this before, can't find it if I have )

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                    My mangetout are only less than a foot high. They're extremely prolific though.. I've had loads from them.

Have a few pods on them now, which look like they contain proper peas in - hoping to save them, do I leave them on the plant to dry out completely? (can't remember if I asked this before, can't find it if I have )
                    Yes, leave them to dry out on the plant. I would not worry too much about the height if your getting the yield. I think I just bought a triffid variety.....

Comment

Mange Tout

I stopped growing mange tout (eat all) and sowed instead sugar snap (variety this year Deliket). You can pick these as mange tout - lovely raw in salads - or let them develop into proper podded peas so get best of both worlds. The developed pods are crammed full of peas - lovely. Also very prolific grower up to 4 feet.
                      Peas tend to yellow at the bottom leaves when they are getting to the end of thier growing period and in my experience you cannot give them too much water when pods are forming.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X