hosepipe ban.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    One thing I've learned from this prolonged dry period is that I need to use more mulches. The beds that are mulched are in much better condition than the ones which aren't.
    Yes, it makes a huge difference.
    I have 2 sweetcorn areas: one of them was left under tarp until the day before I planted. Those plants are now twice the size of the others, despite not being watered since I planted them a month ago.

Originally posted by Nessa View Post
    The ban is really to stop unnecessary waste of water.
    Absolutely. It would be good if more info on mulches, rainwater, grey water etc was given to the general public.

There's a stubborn British mindset entrenched in many that says "I've paid for it, I'll take it". When the reservoir is dry, we'll just drain someone else's.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-06-2010, 07:55 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The day is nigh.
      Friday morning the ban starts and I am still not entirely certain whether or not I can use one on the allotment.
      Never mind though, I will fill up my watering can until the barrel runs dry and then cut off a small length of hose in order to fill the can from the subterranean tap if it is still banned when necessary, I guess.
      The irony is that it is pouring down at the moment, but it isn't heavy enough for long enough to be of any use.
      Perhaps if I keep doing my dance in the middle of the plot we will be saved, at least it gives everyone a laugh.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

The ban won't affect us as we have nowt down t'lotment other than butts. We've been taking stuff down in containers for watering toms/chillies in the placcie greenhouse and cheapo poly but don't really water much else except when planting out. I do seem to use a lot when doing this though. I gave the spuds a water yesterday and then mulched, as last year, didn't bother and a lot had scab.

Don't water the garden other than pots, wouldn't dream of turning the hose on the lawn, what's that all about?

What does annoy me though, as has been mentioned, is how this country has had ridiculous flooding recently and now we're running out of the stuff. A few years ago when we went to Greece, Himself was talking to the owner of the place we were staying, about water and if they ever ran out, as it never seemed to rain. He was perplexed at the question and found it quite amusing that over here we frequently have hosepie bans

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
          Well, I have 2 small 'pools' for my ducks... I shall still be filling those up, regardless of a ban! And I'll be using a hosepipe to do it, so there!!
          Stick a goldfish in each one before you fill them, and your exempt

Comment

Since this hose-pipe ban started we have had so much rain I haven't needed to worry about watering anything. Parts of Liverpool have been flooded the last couple of days. People have had all sorts of unmentionables floating around their downstairs, flooring and furniture ruined, etc.
            Thank goodness my LA is Knowsley. They seem to be a bit better than Liverpool at keeping the drains and culverts clear and the area generally spik and span so we haven't been flooded here. But it is so wet every day that I haven't been doing very much on the plot. I think I need to invest in some rain-proof pants and jacket to go along with my all-week-wellies.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Hosepipe ban? Yes, problems watering? Nope! Its done nothing but rain since the ban came into effect, so although we were expecting to have to spend an hour a day watering by hands (the ground has been sooo dry all spring and until the ban came into effect that our plants were suffering), we've only had to hand water in the greenhouses and polytunnel!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I have decided to order a ProClimate Waterproof Suit. Needs must.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                  Apparently there is to be a hosepipe ban for millions in the North West unless it pours down next week.

Do you think it is appropriate to fill up my barrel now, using the hosepipe? It is only about 1/2 full at the moment.

Is this ethical, appropriate to environmentally friendly gardening, honourable?
                  It is not banned yet. Fill up.

If you do not fill up, you could risk losing a lot of crop which is bad for the environment as you would then need to purchase equivalent food from elsewhere. Mr Tesco's lorries waste a lot of fuel for example.

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post
                    It is not banned yet. Fill up.
                    Erm yes it is, has been for the past couple of weeks.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Erm yes it is, has been for the past couple of weeks.
                      Easy seedling mistake to make.... I still do it now!

Note to self... check date of post before replying. One day I may remember to do it
                      Last edited by weekendwellies; 22-07-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X