Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans

When do you harvest them? i'm growing Suttons - some are around 4 inches long, fattening up quite nicely. Never grown them before so have no idea?

Can you eat them raw, or do you need to boil them?

I also had a load of blackfly on one bean pod - got rid- but will this be ok to eat still? Can't see any hole in the pod.

[side note podded my first peas last night - oh my gosh. amazing].

The pods should be fine with the flies on.
    You can pick them anytime, from really diddy to big, depends on how you like them. I don't like them raw, not sure if you an eat them that way or not. Don't suppose they would do you any harm. I boil mine, for a few mins depending on how big they are, but you could steam them too. I try to wait til mine are sort of thumb nail sized before picking

Comment

If the beans get too old the part where they are connected to the pod goes black and the beans get tough and leathery. So I tend to shell them and just eat the tender green insides. It takes a bit of effort but does improve the eating pleasure. I'm sure many people are put off eating broad beans because they have eaten them with the leathery skins on.
      Last edited by Capsid; 01-07-2010, 09:11 AM.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Oh right, I didnt know you could eat the skins? I'm looking forward to podding them

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
          Oh right, I didnt know you could eat the skins? I'm looking forward to podding them
          What do you mean by the skins? I don't mean the pods although you can eat them like this when they are young. I mean the beans inside the pods which have a skin that can get leathery. I prefer to eat the beans without the skins.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

If they are very small you can boil them in the skins, however, I don't like them like this. When the pods feels full but isn't too lumpy is usually about right. Then pod, boil for a short while and enjoy.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I don't find that you need to skin the individual beans unless they get a bit big or you've stored them for a while. Freezing tends to toughen the skins though so they're definitely worth removing then. I usually just steam mine for a few minutes like I do with most of my veg, only really boil potatoes as I find that other veg seems crunchier if steamed but it's probably worth trying various ways to see what suits you.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

No, I don't do the double podding bit either Alison. Picked in their prime, they don't need it.

Comment

Ahh, ok I didn't know they had skins on the beans

Thanks again!

Comment

I harvest mine as the pods fall over; any earlier and they arent big enough; too long and they are too tough.

Comment

Thanks again!
                      Yes, but I figure that people pay folding money for added fibre in their diets! They aren't all that thick and I've never bothered to 'pop' them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        Yes, but I figure that people pay folding money for added fibre in their diets! They aren't all that thick and I've never bothered to 'pop' them out.
                        Seems a waste of time and bean to me too

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Errr, so to keep it simple for those of us who need it ... I should pick my crimson flowered beans when ...? Should the pod be a certain length? fullness? falling down?

Sorry for being dense, i've never grown or eaten them before either
                          Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

They don't if you pick them early. The little uns are fine eaten raw, but I think they are sweeter if steamed.
                            You can also make them into a type of hummous.

Originally posted by Caro View Post
                            I should pick my crimson flowered beans when ...?
                            Read the comments above ^^

The best way though, is to open one up and taste it. You will soon learn when it's big enough, or too tough etc.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Picked one last night, probably about 5 inches long - the beans inside were baked bean size (what beans are those by the way?)

Tried them raw, wasn't that keen - couldn't see the skins, but then from TS's comment I guess they're still quite young?

Will leave the others a little while. Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X