No announcement yet.

Will my peppers ripen?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding ripening peppers, I was getting worried most of mine were still green, so I put a banana skin like a collar around one of my Cheyenne plants. Two days later and one of the fruits is now orange and so is one of the fruits on the Cayenne next to it. Could be a coincidence, but as I have a banana every day for my breakfast it costs me nothing to try
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
      That's easy, you're just growing the wrong type.
      I grow the same as RustyLady (we swap plants & seeds), and hers are always bigger than mine, even though my greenhouse is nicer
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-08-2010, 10:58 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        even though my greenhouse is nicer
        Doesn't sound like your peppers agree on that though

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I don't understand how you all can get such tall chilli plants: mine never get taller than about 18"
          ??????
          Try rocotos, mine were 6ft last year!
          Last edited by Nicos; 10-08-2010, 12:48 PM.
          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
            Regarding ripening peppers, I was getting worried most of mine were still green, so I put a banana skin like a collar around one of my Cheyenne plants. Two days later and one of the fruits is now orange and so is one of the fruits on the Cayenne next to it. Could be a coincidence, but as I have a banana every day for my breakfast it costs me nothing to try
            I'm going to try this ! Will report back on if it's worked or not.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              I'm going to try this ! Will report back on if it's worked or not.
              The theory is that the ethylene given off by ripening bananas helps trigger the ripening process with other fruit, such as peppers or tomatoes. I suppose if you put a whole banana in amongst your Chilli plants it might have more effect, but I'm too stingy for that so I just use the skins.
              There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

First attempt at chillies this year, I've grown one cayenne in a 9" pot on a south facing windowsill which has frosted glass. It reached 30". The peppers(40) have all turned red, have been harvested and strung up.
                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X