Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the hot weather responsible for all my late crops?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bountyhunter View Post
    But i have no idea whats up with the toms. Loads of them, good sized,loads of sun but not even the slightest colour change yet
    Could be worse - one of my plants has tomatoes that are going beige! And I have No idea why. Not sure I will eat them though, lol.

Comment

Euuuw, i bet there is something dead in it lol. Is it a normal variety?

If it was mine i would make the old man a nice sandwich
      http://sara-howdoesyourgardengrow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some things are doing really well and some things not so well which is the same as most years but with different crops in the two categories. This year early peas did really well but the later ones less so, broad beans weren't very good and the French and runners have been very slow (although I have my suspicions that some of them have been picked by passers by .........). Tomatoes and cucucumbers (had 13 full sized ones on there the other day and am going to try a recipe for cucumber jam later) are going beserk and peppers and chillies are doing well. Also best year ever for aubergines which is very good. Spuds didn't seem to produce as much greenery but what's under ground has been very impressive. Strawberries were great but rapsberries a bit disappointing. Not eating brassicas much yet as I only really grow for winter but the kohl rabi and turnips are doing very well. Early carrots good too but beetroot a bit sparse but OK. Chard has bolted and spinach was a total no show. Courgettes OK but not a full on glut and squashes seem to be very slow.

There are other things too but what I'm trying to show is that some things did well but usually if you get loads of something one year you might get less then next year so the best thing is to grow lots of variety and you won't go hungry.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I am sure of one thing though, the runners hate the hot weather. Now its been cooler for the last couple of weeks they have started producing loads more flowers and beans.
          Hey, I didnt realise runners liked it cooler? We have a south facing garden and my runners are in a real prime heat spot....I wondered why I wasn't getting as many as others!! grr

I meant to say, when the first load of flowers came through they would just completely drop off and leave a stork...I assume this is because of their position and the heat? Or is this completely normal and happens to everyone with the first bunch of flowers??
          Last edited by catkeeble; 15-08-2010, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Runner beans - an extremely awkward plant. It likes temperate conditions, so too hot or too cold they don't like.

We are having a very good year this year. The earlier dry spell seemed to help them grow, but then the rain helped to keep them moist.

We have had a bit of a dry spell lately, and the beans have started to get a bit tough, but they go on the compost heap, and we have had, and stilll have plenty to eat.

The big disappointment this year is sweetcorn. When the tassels appeared the weather was rather 'damp' and the pollen was wet so it didn't
            fall on to the tassels. Had a bit of a sneak preview, and the cobs don't look too brilliant.

That said, we have grown a T&M variety of minicorns. Had some yesterday, and they are really good. Much better than Minipop.

You win some, you lose some. I think that's what gardening is all about.

Next year will be so much better. I hope.

valmarg

Comment

But for the first time i have not had many runner beans. A lot of the flowers didnt set but generally the beans just arent there. I have the old favorite, Scarlet Emporer and some new ones that have white flowers. These new ones are in flower now but not set beans yet. We had weeks and weeks of very hot weather, is this the reason? The beans are in semi shade all afternoon so not in the full glare but it was so hot. My dwarfs seem ok.

I have no red toms yet and i have 4 varieties, cherry, plum, salad and basket, none are even slightly near red. I started these late too but not too late.
              We've had a poor showing with the runners this year (Scarlet Emperor) so far but that said there are now plenty of flowers and a large number of tiny beans now growing. I think the vines general concensus was that the hot weather was responsible for the flowers failing to set and that seems to fit, as since the weather cooled down my plants seem to have picked up .

As for my toms, I have only just started picking the Cherrys (7 so far with half dozen more at various stages of gowing red) and a couple of my main crop are looking as if they're about to start the colour change. These were sown late March after the first sowings failed.

HTH
              Reet
              x

Comment

Originally posted by catkeeble View Post
                Hey, I didnt realise runners liked it cooler? We have a south facing garden and my runners are in a real prime heat spot....I wondered why I wasn't getting as many as others!! grr

I meant to say, when the first load of flowers came through they would just completely drop off and leave a stork...I assume this is because of their position and the heat? Or is this completely normal and happens to everyone with the first bunch of flowers??
                Lol, me too. The dwarf beans love the hot weather though.
                I knew they didn't like it hot but when its been summer previous years they have done great, what i didn't realise was its the heat, not necessary the sun they have trouble with.

I have always misted beans in the evenings to set the flowers , i dont know why, i just read it lol......But now i know that misting helps cool the plant down and the air around them.

Soo, misting in the evening cools the plants down and allows the flowers/pods to set.

We are all going to have masses of beans growing now its cooler.
                http://sara-howdoesyourgardengrow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X