No announcement yet.

Seed Bombs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never heard of seed bombs before but thanks to Katholicos' link, I got the idea I think. We have two young grandchildren staying for a few days, so I think I'll give them a try - or possibly show their parents this thread and let them do it with them while they're here.

Would clay-ey garden soil do mixed with compost?
    Last edited by maytreefrannie; 22-08-2010, 07:18 AM.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm going to try making play dough seed bombs (we can't use ovens at school, so salt dough is no good, and we don't have funds for air-dry clay either).

recipe
      1/2 cup of salt
      1 cup of plain flour
      1 tbsp cream of tartar
      1 tablespoon of oil (baby oil smells nicest)
      I cup of boiling water mixed with some food colouring

Method:
      Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then mix vigorously with the hot water; lasts for ages in little plastic sandwich bags.

I intend to press flower seeds into the play dough and "bomb" local verges with them (it's very much an embryonic idea at this stage)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We used a variety of yogurt pots, egg boxes and apparently, the event was good and they only just ran out of seeds towards the end.

Many thanks all for the ideas

Comment

TS - is salt a very good ingredient for something which is land-loving.

I use salt to help rid my lawn of dandelions and after beheading and sprinkling with salt it burns out the root stock.

I can't think that the presence of salt is going to be very kind to seeds trying to germinate unless all traces of salt will have dispersed by then.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
            TS - is salt a very good ingredient
            I'd considered that - I know salt is a very effective weedkiller, I'm going to experiment to see if it destroys seeds too.

Basically, I need a quick easy indoor project for Garden Club tomorrow. They're all going to lose their seed bombs before they can plant them anyway

Comment

As usual im late again,too late infact.But i was thinking of biodegradeable ballons

Comment

I'd more be worried about animals eating the dough and the seeds.
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                  I'd more be worried about animals eating the dough and the seeds.
                  Why? Animals eat seeds all the time, but if it's salty animals won't touch it

Comment

The clay I bought was school grade and it was £5 something for 12.5 kg......no good for tomorrow but if in future....it came from Special Plasters in Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Why? Animals eat seeds all the time, but if it's salty animals won't touch it
                      I dunno, I've seen rats eating salted crisps.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Rats? No need to worry then

Comment

I seem to remember from my archaeology studies, that the Romans salted fields as a punishment because it took 5-7 years for the salt to disperser to the extent that crops could grow again. I'd be a bit worried that even if, at that concentration, it didn't kill the seeds, the resulting seedlings would fail to thrive.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

What did the Romans ever do for us? Well, they stopped me making playdough seed bombs, thanks Flum.

I went and bought some air drying clay (£4) and will experiment with that: I want to find out if it disperses really quickly, or if it delays germination too much
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-09-2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

There's a tutorial somewhere with people making their own seed tapes from kitchen roll, just dampen the sheet, sprinkle with seeds and add another sheet on top - they stick together as they dry to hold the seeds in place - should degrade pretty quick I would think.

Comment

Hi.....this is about seed bombs, not tapes....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X