Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best indoor cucumber?

Hi all,
    Have just been reading about marketmore cucumbers and realised that these are the thick skinned outdoor ones, so the seeds I have aren't really what I want. I will plant them anyway as I am going to be trying to raise some money for my kids' schools by selling some plants at the school fetes.

However, I want some nice cucumbers to grow in my greenhouse (dare I say like the ones you buy in the supermarket??? Yes, I know your own taste better!). In the past I have bought plants from the garden centre and have been quite succesful in producing lots of cucumbers but I want to have a go from seed this year.

What seeds should I be getting please?

Thanks
    Jools

I'd go for an all female F1 variety. I have grown the variety Topsy (available from Unwins) in my unheated greenhouse for the last three years and have had brilliant crops regardless of what the summer weather is like.
    This year I am gowing Topsy in my greenhouse (again) and four other F1 varieties in my polytunnel - Camilla, Euphya, Pepinex 69 and Femspot.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Rat, I'll try Topsy too.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think Telegraph Improved is the supermarket cucumber.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have heard of the Telepgraph one but i think I'll have a go with Topsy this year.
          Jools

Comment

Originally posted by jools View Post
            ..However, I want some nice cucumbers to grow in my greenhouse (dare I say like the ones you buy in the supermarket??? ..
            I grow the ones like you buy in Mediterranean supermarkets! We find that full-size cukes are too big for us. We grow a beit alpha variety (no name I'm afraid as they were from a Cypriot market) and one plant keeps us in more (6") cukes than we know what to do with. (Oh and of course they taste great.)
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 28-02-2007, 10:24 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I've got a packet of seed for cucumber Lemon - round yellow ones. Has anybody grown them or know anything about them.

Comment

I grew a mini varierty last year - can't for the life of me remeber the variety but they were great - I'll hunt through my seeds packets later on and see if I can find the name. I had two plants and they produced so many cucumbers!!! I had a fridge load of them and just munched on them all the time.

Comment

I planted Cucumber Burpless Tasty Green F1 Hybrid thompson and morgan in a propogator 3 days ago and it has 2 leavs already Exstemly fast dont know what it is going to taste like.
                  never grown cucumber before I know when my dad did he had to remove the male,s we have some that are not F1 but not started them yet
                  Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                  Dobby

Comment

Dobby if it is a heated propagator then take the cucumber seedling out because otherwise it will grow too quickly.

Cucumber, courgettes, squashes and marrows are all quick to germinate.
                    [

Comment

I grew a mini one as well the yeae before last. I had a great crop from it. The reason i liked it was because it was an all female flower plant so had'nt to keep watching to pinch out the male flowers. It would be good for anyonr growing it for the forst time. I think the name was Pepita.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have these as well..

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        I've got a packet of seed for cucumber Lemon - round yellow ones. Has anybody grown them or know anything about them.
                        It will be my first time with these as well, apparently they fruit in bunches, and are very good for growing up wigwams.
                        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for that Seasprout. Interesting to see how we get on. I must look them up as they came in a packet which said nothing.

Comment

Seasprout, there's a little bit about Cucumber - Lemon here.
                            Cucumber - Lemon

Comment

The mini vareity I gre last year was Rocky F1 - no need for pinching out - great crop. This year I'm going to plnt a couple of these again and I'm also trying the Cucumber Lemon so thanks for the link Alice. Do you think I could get away with growing them up wigwams up here in Fife? When would be the best time to plant them out?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X