Broad Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad Beans

Have noticed on a few threads that folks have been wondering about germination times for broad beans.

Reading up my notes and blog from two years ago, I found I planted some broad beans on Feb 11th - and there's a photograph of the newly sprouted beans on March 23rd! So for those of you who have planted and doubt, have faith.
    Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

I cheat - for the early ones I germinate indoors and then plant them out! Also stops the mice and squirrels nicking the seeds.

Comment

...and my BB sown 20 Jan have emerged today - that's 6wks.

Comment

Did you soak them before planting Hazel ? I always find that helps with big seeds.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm glad i saw this post, i sowed some just over 4 weeks ago and still nothing, so i will hang onto the bit of ground for a while longer. :-)
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I sowed some last week so I'll let you know.

Snadger - My Sweet peas came up in a week as well - want some ? Lovely green foliage
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
              Did you soak them before planting Hazel ? I always find that helps with big seeds.
              No, I didn't - but the chap next to my plot did suggest that too. Anything that gives outdoor sowing a head start I'm all for, so I will do that if I sow another row later in the spring.

Interestingly, I'm growing pea shoots as well as a friend of mine, and she soaked hers before sowing and I didn't and there was no difference with the germination times at all.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. I planted mine on the 11th of Feb and no sign yet. Did dig one out and it had a a downward shoot so should not be too long now.

Comment

broadbeans

Is it to late to start sowing broad beans and peas, I was not going to grow this but have changed my mind.

marion

Comment

kittykat I think its okay to sow broad beans now depending on the variety, some are better for spring sowing. we've just sown some bunyards exhibition in rootrainers on friday.

I hope its okay for peas too, cos we've not started ours yet!
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I wont do my peas for another couple of weeks, I'm trying the loo roll method for the first time this year.
                      Last edited by seasprout; 04-03-2007, 08:50 AM. Reason: too early to get the spelling right first time.
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                        kittykat I think its okay to sow broad beans now depending on the variety, some are better for spring sowing. we've just sown some bunyards exhibition in rootrainers on friday.

I hope its okay for peas too, cos we've not started ours yet!
                        Sow now? Sowed mine late November & planted out just before christmas all are stiill going well.(12" - 15" )I must tie up soon.
                        I Don't know verity though.
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

I put mine in peat pots a week ago and one is just stating to sprout Broad Bean Express
                          Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                          Dobby

Comment

GREENHOUSE HELPS early crop

I have planted from December in pots and potted on in my greenhouse. The greenhouse is largely empty so this is a good use of the space. Super Aquadulce and the Sutton have both come through in about 10 days. I find they germinate best when not too hot so do not put in a propagator. This weekend I have planted out Aquadulce as they are all flowering and was pleased to see a passing hoverfly for pollination hopefully.

I plant in a roofless greenhouse that I will net later for fruit. The broad beans are mostly fine and about 2 foot tall each has its own cane. A little more labouir intensive but the canes will be used again later on. Climate here is benign, 2 mild frosts and lots of ants invading greenhouse already.

I have winter peas in similar fine fettle. If frosts come (and I am lucky to be 50 yards from the sea) I will fleece if the frosts are particularly hard. I think with climate change this is a crop to gamble on going in early. I have fortnightly succession sowings continuing in the greenhouse so should be cropping from April-June and avoid the problem of heat switching off/reducing crop which was a big problem last year.

The other problem I find with climate change is that I have never known so many strong winds. Repeated uncertain and they are increasingly my main problem, anyone else noticing this?

Comment

Hi bboy, I agree about the winds....but we live in a vale where sometimes the wind is funnelled right down along it, it doesn't half howl - I've never heard such strange noises! At other times you can see & hear that the wind is blowing over the top of us.

Then there's the wind from the beans themselves!!!
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X