No announcement yet.

Festive Veg.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Frana, you've bought back lovely memories of the fun we had last year digging parsnips out from the darkest depths of the snow at the lottie (although not quite on Christmas Day).....
    I'm afraid I'm far too precious with my winter veg to use it on a large Christmas dinner when people just eat for the sake of it, rather than to enjoy it (or maybe that's just me, I just find the whole idea of eating a roast dinner in the middle of the afternoon very unappealing, but tradition in our family doesn't allow for a 'tea time' roast) Any winter veg that I manage to 'nurture' that far gets saved for when we can really sit down and enjoy it....maybe the trueth is, I'm not that successful with winter veg (and my sprouts are obviously related to Alison's - I've just cropped a lovely big bag full too, slightly early!!). Do I sound like a humbug....I don't mean to, honest
    Last edited by LolaLou; 23-09-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LolaLou View Post
      I just find the whole idea of eating a roast dinner in the middle of the afternoon very unappealing,

Really, I love an afternoon roast, especially when it follows a morning of wine and brandy, paté on toast ,etc.

Comment

I tried growing potatoes for 'the festive season' ( no, not using the 'c' word!) in a pot in the past but have ended up with just a handful of tiny potatoes as I don't think I started them off soon enough. I have some new potatoes still in pots in the garden though so I may try lifting them before we get any heavy frost & storing them in the fridge.
        Other than that the only things I will have are herbs growing on the windowsill & salad leaves which can go on sandwiches. We don't tend to 'do' traditional though so we may end up having a veg. curry!
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I'm hoping for Parsnip (roasted in honey), Leeks in a spinach (also from the garden) and cheese sauce, runners and french beans (already picked and frozen) carrots (in tubs in the greenhouse) and mangetout (also picked and frozen).Oh, oh, oh, and I nearly (how could I) forgot Roasted Butternut squash .

We don't have enough room for brassicas which is a shame because both my little girls love broccoli and we all love sprouts - so they'll be bought.

Reet
          x

P.S. My 6yr old came home from school earlier this week all excited because her teacher had told them how many weeks were left Picture Reet with eyes shut and fingers in ears repeating "I'm not listening! I'm not listening". I'm going to have to have words with the teacher because she's also told them that they're too young to be arrested for being naughty
          Last edited by reetnproper; 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM. Reason: To add a long PS

Comment

I'm hoping the tatties I'm growing in bags will last that long, and the carrots in a tub I've got in the (unheated) conservatory will also be okay. And I've got a grand total of fourteen leeks, so hopefully I'll get one of them too :-)

Not sure about broccoli though. I planted quite a lot of EPS broccoli and thanks to nasty maggots eating their roots, only one planted survived. Not sure if it would be ready by, y'know, THAT DAY though!
            Last edited by Croila; 03-10-2010, 11:20 PM.
            Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
            www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

I currently have a good crop of cabbages, broccoli, sprouts, Swedes, leeks, growing and am hoping they just might make in time for a Christmas Day harvest

I have had a good crop of everything this year ...it's been good
              aka shez

Comment

I am 32 and have never cooked a Christmas dinner as my husband and I have always been fortunate enough to be asked each year to spend Christmas with my mum (we lost my dear dad on Boxing day 2005)

Christmas has always been time for family for us like most.

This year I am very proud to of grown a lot of veg in our garden and will take to mum's for Christmas dinner - Parsnips for roasting, Carrotts and leeks. I know my dad would of been proud to eat veg grown by my own hands, more so with Christmas being so special to us.

I will also take (for Christmas tea) some pickled red cabbage and some albino beetroot to be served with other bits and bobs.

Comment

I had potatoes growing in buckets for THAT day. Word to the wise do not go on hols for a week and leave them in tthe GH with tomato plants. Blight!!!
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Parsnips will be roasted with maple syrup, celeriac (first time growing this year) made into mash and maybe a few leeks served in cheese sauce. Yum! Also made a rich sticky beetroot chocolate cake this week that could be a possible replacement for Christmas pud, which no-one in my family seems to like.
                    come visit a garden
                    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nuttyrockeress View Post
                      I am 32 and have never cooked a Christmas dinner
                      I'm 41 and have never cooked a Christmas dinner! I'll be doing it for the first time this year, though. I'm terrified it will all go horribly wrong
                      Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
                      www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X