Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festive Veg.

Hello grapevine!

It seems a bit too soon to be thinking about Christmas I know... although maybe it's OK if we're talking in terms of the vegetable patch.

I was wondering what people plan to pull from the plot for the big day. Will everyone be harvesting their own sprouts?

Does anyone have advice on what to get into the ground now, and how to make the most of it over the festive season?

I'm getting excited about leeks at the moment, and I'm sure there are hundreds of other winter veg options I haven't thought about, so I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks,

Holly

Your comments may be edited and published in the December issue of GYO
    Last edited by Holly; 25-10-2010, 08:25 AM.

Holly does Zazen know you mentioned the C word?

I have a garden full of leeks as I have not yet managed to get any brassicas past the nasty things that want to eat them! I also have parsnips, made a great apple and parsnip soup for Christmas day last year which went down really well. Recipe is on here somewhere.
    Last edited by FionaH; 20-09-2010, 03:12 PM.
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I have one sprout plant which thinks it's already Christmas - the others are more under control but this one has lovely fat sprouts ready to harvest but it just seems wrong! We're probably having a houseful on Christmas day and will be eating homemade cranberry sauce, sprouts, parsnips, carrots, roast and new potatoes (if the Christmas ones fail we can have PFA ones instead). In addition, the stuffing will be made from foraged chestnuts (am eyeing the tree up till they're ready at the moment) and home grown onions. For tea will serve up a salad of winter leaves and stored tomatoes (if they keep OK like Real Seeds promise). There's probably something else but can't think at the moment although we'll definitely have loads of jams and chutneys as well as home liquors.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I hope to have chantenay carrots and snowball turnips. The rate my beans are going (just flowering now) I might have runners by then too
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Well most of my winter veg are a big fat FAIL this year - cabbages, broccoli, sprouts, swedes all got munched by slimey things while still in the module trays, and the second sowings all have been 'got' by cabbage whites when the enviromesh blew off over Grapestock week; parsnips all failed to germinate; never got round to sowing any winter salad stuff. The only things I have got are; leeks, so might make a nice soup with them for a starter; potatoes, assuming they last that long...; and frozen beans and peas.

Comment

leeks sprouts snowball turnips potatoes (if ready) beans out of freezer home grown pork and turkey sage and onion stuffing plus eggs for the yorkshires i draw the line at producing my own flour though!

Comment

I have sprouts, parsnips, lots of celeriac (some looks quite big already), leeks and 123 (!!) savoy cabbages (even sadder is that I've counted them!). In august I planted some chitted potatoes in bags in the greenhouse and I keep shoving small or green potatoes into more bags - rather than throw them on the compost, I don't know if anything will come of them but it's worth a go!
              I also have a freezer full of beans, carrots, spinach etc so I shall be raiding that for the big day.
              It's quite competitive in our household, the number of different veg on the plate plus how much of it has been grown yourself.

Comment

If everything goes according to plan I should have a full compliment of veg for THAT special day!............................probably!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                  I have sprouts, parsnips, lots of celeriac (some looks quite big already), leeks and 123 (!!) savoy cabbages (even sadder is that I've counted them!).
                  thats a whole load of cabbages!
                  http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

I have all sorts awaiting harvest and quite a lot is in containers that I can bring into the greenhouse if the ground freezes over. One thing I don't have is sprouts. For the few that we use during the year I prefer to go to the freezer cabinets in the supermarket.

Comment

Hoping for new potatoes in tubs and carrots in a pot. Parsnips (first time ever grown), leeks if the greenfly have left me any and brussels and broccoli (maybe). Plus lots and lots of frozen runner beans. Ooh and home made stuffing with homegrown onions and garlic.

Comment

We're veggie and get a roast dinner at my brother's on Boxing Day so we have chilli for Christmas day. This started because we had left over chillis still on the balcony on Christmas eve so we made a decision and went out for guacamole, sour cream and nachos and it's become a tradition now.

So, we will be taking the chilis from whichever plant is still in the greenhouse, and all the veg in the chili will be home grown from the onions to the beans...hopefully it will be bulked up with a squash and pudding will include rasp vinegar and jam from home grown rasps.....and of course fresh winter salad on the side of the main chili....
                        Last edited by zazen999; 21-09-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Right...that's it!!!

Holly,Fi, Alison, Zaz....all of you off to the norty step

Holly- you may be forgiven though ....so you can take your favouite slice of cake with you.

...we have mentioned this a while back actually!....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ong_48433.html
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

ah, I know Nicos- it's terrible behaviour. I resisted putting the 'C' word in the title of this thread as I thought it might be too provocative!

On the other hand, a bit of forward planning never hurt anyone... especially not the veg grower.

I'm trying to think of some exciting recipes for Jerusalem artichokes at the moment - any ideas?

Comment

1st Christmas Day on my plot

I currently have a good crop of swede growing and am hoping they just might make in time for a Christmas Day harvest.

Due to work commitments I have never been to my plot on Christmas day but I am off this year and as sad as it may sound - I am really looking forward to popping down for a brief time to pull up some hopefully tasty swede and a few leeks I am saving. ( Maybe even a cabbage if they last).

Even if I don't get what I intended, just the atmosphere of a Christmas stroll around my allotment in the morning (weather permitting) is a heart warming prospect and I can always rely on my freezer full of french and runner beans!

It will be a brief visit though as the pub opens at twelve!

Merry Christmas all!
                              Last edited by Frana; 23-09-2010, 02:50 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X