Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egyptian onions

Hi,

I saw these in the latest issue, but can't find any to buy!

Anyone got any links? Or better, any tubers?! Willing to swap any seeds I have (I've a considerable collection due to manic and uncontrollable urges while in seed shops!)

Ta!

And let's hope we don't get too much rain tomorrow, need to get stuff done!

Have you tried the Real Seed Company? According to the page in the mag they have them. Or have you already tried and found them sold out?

Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

hi,

Have tried and couldn't find any reference to them in the catalogue at all!

Bit frustrating really!

Comment

Egyptian onions are usually propogated by sets! For anyone unfamiliar with there growth, they send up a stalk with these small onion sets on the top. The weight of them causes them to bend over and these sets take root!

I got some off eBay last year but they haven't grown much yet! Probably because the North East of England is a far cry from the Egyptian climate!!

They must rely on length of day for growth as I seem to remember them putting on a spurt of growth in the Autumn. Sorry I can't help with supplying any sets as I aint had any yet, maybe this year I'll get some!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi,

Have now found a source online (beansand herbs.co.uk) so should get some of these soon.

Thanks for the replies folks

Comment

ack can't find these on beansandherbs either... am I looking in the wrong place? I spotted these in the mag too and am very keen to try growing a few

edit: ahhh... just found them. they're also known as tree onions: Beans and Herbs

which explains why i couldn't find them on a search for Egyptian onions!
            Last edited by ConstantGardener; 10-03-2008, 11:11 AM.
            God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.

Comment

There other name is Walking onions, usually propogated from sets!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X