when should I pot on

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when should I pot on

Hi I'm new to this growing from seed and need some advice.
    I planted some aubergines and peppers 2 weeks ago although some have come up and then died again I have some that are 11/2 inches tall in small moduals should I pot them up into there own pots and place them on the hot box or should I leave them in the propagator.
    Please help cause I want to play in the greenhouse (as its tipping down here) but dont want to end up killing what Ive got left

deb

The advice I have read is to pot on when the roots are showing out the bottom of the pot and to only go up one pot size. I would think they are okay where they are for the moment though not sure about the propagator, mine are all sitting on the kitchen windowsill now to make sure they get plenty light.

I am sure there will be more experienced grapes along soon to tell you the right way to go about it.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

What did they die of deb?

We potted up our baby peppers yesterday - they're about 2" and some have started second/real leaves. The aubs are similar size but still in the heated prop (they like it hot!) but could probably be on the windowsill with the peppers & toms (which will be potted on v. soon).

Click image for larger version

Name:	peppers and toms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2318503 - peppers (left) & toms (right)

Click image for larger version

Name:	aubs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2318504 - aubs
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 04-03-2007, 10:43 AM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I dont know what they died of they just seemed to grow to about an inch and then shrivelled up
        Am I doing something wrong I am holding them between 75 and 85 degrees but from the 4 tasty red i planted only 2 seem to be ok even worse with the rainbow mix and the aubergines are 3 from ten
        Help please!!!
        deb

Comment

how are you germinating the seed deb?

ours are started in a heated prop, they need compost, heat, water & (eventually) light - I would guess the temp to be somewhere around mid-20s centigrade? (sorry don't do F)

The tom seeds took about 4/5 days to come through, when they did (next day(ish)) we took them out of the (warmer) propagator and stood them on the windowsill for more light - still warm (about 18/19 C) in the house though. They'll probably get potted on into slightly bigger modules in a day or two.
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry, thinking about it (brain not engaged, doh!) - if you're germinating them then perhaps its too hot after? Not enough water? Too much water?

Lack of light would mean they'd be leggy, but still alive. What sort of germination rate are you getting?

Comment

It sounds like they are too hot to me. You also need to keep them just slightly wet and not soaked.
              Did you leave them in the heated propogator after they germinated. If they are shrivelled up it would probably be the heat.
              Once they peep above the soil at all thke them out of the propogator and put them where they can get as much light as possible. Keep them indoors unless you have a heated greenhouse. Do not pot on until they have about two pair of true seed leaves.
              Hope this is some help

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

thanks for your help

as they were in a 40 modual tray with chili peppers (Pretty in purple) that I got from real seeds
                I propagated them by sitting them in the hot box with a large propagator lid on top, the only way I could get the temp up high enough as my propagator is thermostatic at 19 degrees
                I have left them in the under the propagator cover in the greenhouse.
                Sould I now uncover them and just leave them in the hot box with bottom heat
                the green house is kept frost free lowest temp recorded 5 degrees

deb

Comment

Deb, 5deg is much too cool for peppers or toms. If i were you i would keep them on the window ledge in youe centrally heated house.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hello Deb, I think you're frying your plants. 75 -85 degrees seems excessive for seedlings. I planted my peppers, chillies and aubergines , 1 seed to a 3" pot and put them on the windowsill. They were all up within a week and are growing on great.
                    Ordinary room temperature is enough for them. I wouldn't put them out in the greenhouse as its far too cold.
                    It's a shame if your seedlings are spoiled, but don't worry, there's plenty of time to start again.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks for all your help
                      you were right I was cooking them!
                      oh well live and learn thats what lifes about.

thanks again
                      deb

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X