Diseased plant waste

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
    I've read that it's ok to compost blighted tomato and spud haulm, because the heat of the compost heap kills off the spores, but I prefer not to risk it, and put it in my green wheelie bin, because, as someone says above, commercial compost gets very hot indeed.
    The heat kills it off, or winters cold kills it off, or just by the fact that the plant dies, the blight spores die.
    The death is pretty comprehensive.

However, what-ever keeps your mind at ease!
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Anyone know if its ok to put leek moth infected leeks in the compost? I had a lovely big sheet of environmesh for christmas and covered the leeks on the allotment with it and someone nicked it!! I was really upset because it had to have been a fellow allotmenteer and my hardup son had given it to me. Anyway I covered them with some old net curtain but they must have been infected during the time they were unprotected and look useless now. Any tips for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
        I've composted blighted plants for 8 years and this year I didn't have any blight, that should tell you something.
        This was discussed on GQT this weekend, and Pippa Greenwood says she composts blighty waste too

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
        I have always thought that blight ...needs live tissue to get from one year to another (i.e. a tuber). That is one of the reasons for not allowing stragglers to grow next year as the plants may be carrying the virus.
        It's not a virus, not that it matters.
        The spores are washed from the foliage onto the soil, where it may reach the tubers.
        "Infected tubers have a brown or purple discolouration on the surface, and reddish-brown granular markings in the tuber flesh. The tubers may
        remain firm but can develop bacterial soft rot if the tissues are invaded by weak secondary bacteria that cause tissue breakdown. ... infected tubers will usually rot during storage"

Originally posted by allotment sue View Post
        Anyone know if its ok to put leek moth infected leeks in the compost?
        I do. I suppose it's possible that the larvae can pupate and hatch within the compost, but mine gets so hot I doubt it.
        I'll bump the leek moth thread for you
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Quote from garden organic:

Plant materials suffering from soil-borne diseases such as clubroot and white rot should not be added to a compost heap. Anything else can be safely composted in a hot heap. Diseases that don�t need living matter to survive, such as grey mould, mildews, and wilts, may survive in a cold heap. But heat is not the only factor that will kill diseases: the intense microbial activity in a compost heap also helps to dispose of them. Some diseases, such as tomato and potato blight need living plant tissue to survive and will not last long without it. It is fine to add foliage suffering from these diseases to your hot or cold compost heap.

If in doubt, leave it out. Problem materials can be sent to your local council green waste recycling facility where the composting methods are hot enough to kill any problem organisms

Compost hints and tips

That will save me burning it all
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
            potato blight need living plant tissue to survive and will not last long without it. It is fine to add foliage suffering from these diseases to your hot or cold compost heap.
            That's great news, and justifies my slatternly ways

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              That's great news, and justifies my slatternly ways
              Yup thats why I liked it too

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                This was discussed on GQT this weekend, and Pippa Greenwood says she composts blighty waste too
                Just listened to it, the other guy was arguing against reusing compost despite Pippa pointing out the FACTS.

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

If it's good enough for Pippa Greenwood it's good enough for me

Comment

She just copied me.

I like being a role model

Comment

the other guy was arguing against reusing compost despite Pippa pointing out the FACTS.
                      A man contradicting and talking over a woman armed with facts?

Comment

I like being a role model
                        God help us all

Comment

I always feel guilty about dropping my clubroot/whiterot infested waste material in the public bin just outside the allotments.
                          Although the composting temps are supposed to be high enough to sterilise pests,diseases and seeds, this is rarely the case.
                          I have added soil conditioner sold by the local council to my plot and been amazed at the amount of new species I have introduced. The vast majority are weeds but a few gems like lupins and other herbaceous perennials have been added to my allotment!
                          Maybe the middle temp of the heap would have killed these but the temp near the edge is much cooler.
                          Ok, the heap is supposed to be turned regularily but the thoroughness of this process is doubtful.

PS My concience has finally made me see the error of my ways and I've now started to burn all diseased waste material!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Most information on composting is claptrap..
                            Don't compost diseased plants.
                            Don't put onions and citrus fruits in wormeries.. woms don't like them.

Absolute fabrications written by people who obviously don't look at reality.

Comment

Lol, thanks guys. I really appreciate all your input.

Reet
                              x

Comment

just by the fact that the plant dies, the blight spores die.
                                Indeed.

Blight spores can only survive on living material. I'd argue that composted plants aren't alive.

"The pathogen over winters in infected seed potatoes ...potatoes left by the sides of fields, or ... from tubers left in the ground."

"composting may leave the haulm exposed, which will allow blight spores to spread until the green material dies. If composting is the only option, the infected material should be placed under the top layer in the compost"

Or under a lid

source: The Potato Council
                                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-10-2010, 07:40 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X