Toms advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toms advice

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

What do I need to do with the seeds I've gathered from some shop bought tomatoes? Do I need to let them dry out? Or can they planted more or less straight away?

Hi Martain and welcome to the vine.
    First of all you need to wash them to get all the tomatoey bits off. If you have a sieve put them in that and let the water run on them until they are clean. Then dry them and plant.
    if you are storing any make sure they are really dry or they will go mouldy.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    By the way, theres no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to help and we all had to learn ourselves.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

You're supposed to clean and dry the seeds as bramble says, but you'd be amazed the amount of tomato plants I get growing in my compost heap and borders where the fruit have just fallen and done the job themselves. It is important to clean them by rinsing if you're growing in compost in heat, but the drying is really to preserve them if you're storing them. If you want to sow them straight away, clean them and put on damp kitchen towel in a warm place and watch. If they germinate you can then carefully pot them into compost.

Comment

LOL sorry but i have to laugh - which is alawys good, but folowing a c___ day at work I'm sttting here 1/2 with it and i thought this thread was advice from a guy called Tom.
        Sorry Martin , but thank you for making me smile
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Lol Denise! Thanks for giving me a giggle! Bad day at work here too! My Area Manager came into the branch yesterday, and knitpicked some of the merchandising that my Deputy Manager had done, so team now fed up and I've a meeting about my pay rise next week, which just looks like its gone out of the window! Grr, roll on retirement! (Only another 25 1/2 years to go now!)
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

If you are growing tomatoes with seed taken from shop bought tomatoes don't expect the plants to give similar tomatoes if they are F1's!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I"ll give it go and let youknow how I get on.

Glad to see that other people have problems with area managers!

I reckon they have their brains surgically removed when they get the job

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X