Why do we pot on

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we pot on

I got to thinking why do we start seeds of in small pots then pot them on to bigger pots
    Why not just put in a big pot?
    will they grow too fast and fall over?
    any iders any one
    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
    Dobby

It's because all the unused compost in the big pot will go stale and sour - not good for the seedling.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I sometimes wondered that, but two sheds' explanation makes perfect sense. Besides, you would end up using a lot of seed compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        It's because all the unused compost in the big pot will go stale and sour - not good for the seedling.
        Why doesn't it go bad in the bag, then?

Comment

Why is the sky blue?

Comment

seed compost whats wrong with all purpose compost
            is that why some of my seedling have died cas i reused the compost from uther seed the we were both watering
            Last edited by Dobby; 09-03-2007, 04:45 PM.
            Dobby

Comment

If you have too much compost for a seed (or plant) and it is all kept wet, it overpowers the roots and they rot. General rule is start small - hence sow seed in pots or trays and pot into cells or small pots when true leaves emerge. This gives them the chance to build up good strong root systems before being planted out or potted on. When repotting house plants the advice is always to go up one pot size only - same reason, too much wet compost rots the roots instead of encouraging them to grow.

Comment

A lot of plants grow tap roots. By transplanting them we can break the taproot and make them produce a fibrous root system which will give them more support and and easier uptake of nutrients. Potting is best done in stages as they outgrow there allocated pot.

The reason the compost doesn't deteriorate in the bag is because it is not being subjected to constant watering which will eventually wash out the fertiliser content, or sunlight and air which will further break it down.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

soooo what happens when we sow direct?

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                    soooo what happens when we sow direct?
                    As an example, most brassicas are sown into a seedbed and then transplanted to there final site for the very same reason, to break the taproot and to guarantee a plant in the required position!

By sowing direct we are at the mercy of the weather and will usually get a later crop, or if ground and weather conditions aren't right, no crop at all!!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that Mrs D dont like the trays with cells she carnt get um out we tryed it with onions think we took um out too soon
                      so going to tyr it again
                      Dobby

Comment

What a good question Dobby, and a wonderful answer Snadger.

I've always kind of wondered, and last year planted my crops straight into the ground. They did grow and we did eat off them, but I'm sure would have had better results if I'd potted them first.
                        Interestingly the parsley sowed directly on to the soil grew well in the end, but the six plants I transplanted into the herb bed have done better.

My problem this year is where to put all the seedlings!!

Comment

Also, by potting in smaller pots to start with you have the added advantage that you're only wasting a small amount of compost on the seeds which don't end up germinating! Also, the pots are smaller therefore take up less valuable space which helps, even if just in the short term....

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

is there actually a need to pot on say .... marigolds. in fact specifically marigolds (seeing as I potted on a tray of them yesterday and have over 30 and used up a heck of a lot of my 3" pots !).

I have another 4 trays and I was wondering if I could just keep them in their modules until planting out time. I realise that the roots may get a bit cramped but surely plug plants arrive with a good root system in a module "plug".

Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

You can get away with not doing but if the pots too small then the plant can become pot bound and lacking in any nutrients etc. Would have thought that this was more a concern for either show or food plants and if a few of the marigolds are a bit restricted it shouldn't matter too much. Could always do an experiment and compare the ones you do and the ones you don't - that way it's not lazy but a scientific survey................

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X