May the road rise to meet you,
    May the wind be always at your back,
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
    Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

First post - with photos

Hi everyone.
      This is my first post although I've been a lurking reader for a while...

My early tomatoes

I put a seed tray in some tupperware in the airing cupboard on the 10th Jan 2011.
      It had 2 or 3 seeds each of Amish Paste, Red Pear and Galina, and about 8 of Latah (which were saved from my tomatoes last year).

seed tray in tupperware in airing cupboard

The Amish Pastes won the race. A couple of Galinas and Red Pears are beginning to stir too, but no Latahs yet.

Amish Pastes today

It's probably that the Amish Pastes were in a warmer spot. (I hope)

Comment

I have sowed x5 each of Marmande, Money Maker , Gardeners Delight, Golden Sunrise and Tigrella - sowed last Saturday and put in the heated prop, fiddled about with and watered properly three days ago and now we have three seedlings! One each of Marmande, Golden Sunrise and Moneymaker YAY! Now should I leave the seedlings in the heated prop? Or should I take them out??? Wohoo I'm started!
        http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by timethatthetaleweretold View Post
          Hi everyone.
          This is my first post although I've been a lurking reader for a while...
          Welcome to the vine ttttwt!

Can I join the early tomato gang too? Going to plant 4 of each of these plants in the morning and whack em in the airing cupboards in 3inch pots with plastic bags over em (i hate transplanting fidley little seedlings)

Floridity
          Golden Gem
          Black Krim
          Alicante

Comment

I was rummaging my seedbox and found a few seeds of Gardener's Delight toms(haven't got a clue where they came from).Will probably put a couple of seeds in the pots just to see if they are any use.

Comment

4 seeds of Auntie Madge went in the heated prop today
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Timethatthetale...

You need to get those seeds into some light!

Comment

Well, I'm losing the will to live................11 days sat above a radiator & not a blip...........Looks like I shall have to start again before I get left behind........
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Little and often BM - have you got a plastic bag you can pop over the top?

Comment

All 5 of the Jaune Flamme Tomatoes I sowed have come up this morning and have been potted on and moved into a unheated propagator along with 4 minibels that have shown them self's after about 5 days..
                      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                      -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        Little and often BM - have you got a plastic bag you can pop over the top?
                        Yes, they are in one of the little prop containers with a vented lid on. It may be that I have used old seed. I'll pick some new up.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Jelliebabe View Post
                          I have sowed x5 each of Marmande, Money Maker , Gardeners Delight, Golden Sunrise and Tigrella - sowed last Saturday and put in the heated prop, fiddled about with and watered properly three days ago and now we have three seedlings! One each of Marmande, Golden Sunrise and Moneymaker YAY! Now should I leave the seedlings in the heated prop? Or should I take them out??? Wohoo I'm started!
                          Once the seeds have hatched I usually take the lid off the propagator and leave the seedlings with bottom heat.

Comment

Have at last got round to sowing some seeds whether they are viable or not is another matter but lets see. I have sown John Hawkins Piccolo,Mr Nobody,Tomberry,Nepal and Glacier. Keeping my fingers crossed and for the first time trying to germinate them without the help of the heated propagator. Probably will have to resort to it later.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              Timethatthetale...

You need to get those seeds into some light!
                              Call me Tim.

Thanks for the tip. They're getting some light now.

I guess my lesson is not to plant 4 different varieties of tomatoes in one seed tray:
                              The Amish Pastes seemed to germinate so much faster than the other types and the others will get left behind as I can't leave the tray in the warm, but dark, airing cupboard.

Comment

You should be ok - toms don't need that much heat and usually a kitchen top will do. It's mainly chilis that need the heat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X