The Early Tomato Sowing Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deltz View Post
    Is everyone planning to eventually plant these outside, just worried I dont want to plant too early
    Don't sow yet for outdoor. Sown now they will be 4' tall by the time you can plant out that's a tad large for a windowsill!
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I'd love to join in - is the idea just to plant some seeds now and grow them indoors on a windowsill or somewhere, until harvest? I'm a bit worried as we have no bright rooms (the south facing kitchen window is darkened by our neighbours fence ) but I'll give it a go anyway!
      Gayle

Container gardening this year, bring on the Spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        Don't sow yet for outdoor. Sown now they will be 4' tall by the time you can plant out that's a tad large for a windowsill!
        Thanks for that, when would you advise I plant for outdoors, don't the beef ones have to be planted slightly earlier? Thanks!

Comment

Noticed last night that my Roma toms have sprouted. Just waiting on the other varieties and chilies now.

Comment

Probably best you are guided by the instructions on the packet.

Although Tomatoes are quite a short-season crop outside, so if you can bring it forwards that will help.

Don't suppose you have a conservatory or somesuch that you could raise plants in (unheated will do, in fact heated may be too warm)

Usual time for sowing indoors would be end March / beginning of April to plant out mid to end of May (mid May if you have cloches).

Other approach might be if you can grow them in containers? Then if the nights were cold enough you could bring them in - they will get upset if temperature falls below 10C. Hopefully that won't be often, so that might not be too much trouble?
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I have been looking at this thread for a while and I cannot hold back from posting, despite the feeble attempt at censorship imposed by Zazen999 in the first post.

In my view, it is very irresponsible to encourage, in particular newcomers to growing, to sow at such an early time of year when there is such a lack of light.

I note the frequent use of the words "spindly" & "leggy" - some don't even know what "leggy" means.

A lot will be doomed to failure, I just hope people are not put off and will plant at a more realistic time, in a month or so - and only then if they've got a greenhouse to put the plants in.

Comment

Allotment Joe, I think zazen made it perfectly clear, in the first post, that this thread is for people who want to sow a few seeds, with the expectation that they will have to remain indoors till summer.

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                This is the early sowing and growing thread for all things Tomato

As traditional on the Vine, we are only sowing a few seeds to get us going, as most people don't have the space for 80 plants all being grown indoors through the spring.

So, get yourself a few seeds, a couple of pots, and sow some lovely tomatoes.
                There is a plethora of good advice for newcomers in other threads on the forum, as well as many experienced growers always willing to answer questions.

You are, of course, entitled to your view, but surely that should be reciprocal - i.e. others should likewise be entitled to share their views and experiments?
                Last edited by Sylvan; 21-01-2011, 04:41 PM. Reason: teriible speeling :-/
                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

I must apologise profusely. I must admit I missed the bit about keeping them inside until summer.

Hang on - no I didn't, it doesn't say that.

Suggest you only repeat facts, Sylvan.

Comment

You had me really worried for a minute there Joe. I thought I was going even more doolally than usual so I went and had another look.

It DOES say they'll need to stay indoors till summer.

"...all being grown indoors through the spring."

For most areas of the country summer comes after spring (though that's debatable for those of us who have frosts and even snow at the end of June). so "through the spring" means till summer.

Binley - how warm is your airing cupboard? Mine doesn't seem much warmer than the rest of the house. I'm wondering whether to put a hot water bottle in there.
                    Last edited by Sylvan; 21-01-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• OK, assuming you DO keep them inside until summer.

That's 5 months of keeping a tomato plant in the house

Do you have any idea how big a task and how big a plant that will be - and add on a bit for it being leggy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allotment Joe View Post
                        OK, assuming you DO keep them inside until summer.

Do you have any idea how big a task and how big a plant that will be - and add on a bit for it being leggy.
                        It is meant as a bit of early fun with only a few seeds to keep people occupied in the more baron months of the year.
                        http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I have sown today
                          2 tumbling toms
                          2 maskarena
                          2 sungold I have not tried these before but seen so many good comments on here I thought i would have a go

Comment

• Originally posted by Allotment Joe View Post
                            OK, assuming you DO keep them inside until summer.

Yes. I've been doing summat similar for years. Not January, but certainly the beginning of February. We have such short summers keeping them indoors for 4 or 5 months is the only way I get a decent crop.
                            Tomatoes have never been a problem, but courgette plants can get very heavy by May

Comment

• Allotment Joe, We are not and never profess to be commercial growers. We are enthusiastic amatuers, who will learn by our mistakes, and have a lot of pleasure doing it. We spend far more than we ever crop, cos we love it.

It seems you are a serious grower, thats fine, some of the members here are as well, but there are lots of us who do it just for fun.

Please respect others who have a different slant on things that you do yourself.

Comment

• Three month old Tamina and Gardener's Delight in their final pots, in early May, sunbathing on the steps outside the french doors.
                                Makes me feel a little better about the fact that the seeds in my airing cupboard this month haven't yet done anything.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Sylvan; 22-01-2011, 01:33 AM. Reason: Trying to get the pic right

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X