The Early Tomato Sowing Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Oh brrrrrr. I guess you're having greenhouse toms then? Greenhouse within a greenhouse, Russian doll style?
    Oddly enough, no.

I've used conservatories in every house except the last one, which had a gorgeous (old and patched, but very big) polytunnel but this house is only about 600 feet high and there are some lovely sheltered bits (the west wall is over 6ft high and the last shed meets it at a right angle, which creates a very nice microclimate ) so for the last couple of years I've grown Tamina and Gardener's Delight in pots.

They still come in at night until June (the dog has become resigned to sleeping in a jungle) so I suppose they get their warm nights that way...

The lottie's at about 1,000 feet, and on a west facing slope, so I haven't tried any there (yet - might try some of my extra san marzano and principe borghese if I run out of people to give them to - there's a nice 6ft plastic-coated wire fence we could tie them to if we remove the apple saplings from the container. hmm...)
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Two sheds I now it gets breezy to say the least where you are but you are so far in front of us it is really quite unbelievable.

Back in the 80s I had a building site I had to visit once a week just outside Norwich and I stayed over night in Buxton village the Bridge Inn if I recall (the one that got burnt to the ground). Anyway it was early spring and I could sit at night beside the river with a glass of wine and admire the view, people fishing among the daffs and a wonderful sunset.

At the same time I was visiting my wifes home town on a regular basis the other Buxton in the Derbyshire peaks. Up there they still had snow not a lot but snow none the less, no spring flowers and damn cold to boot. That was the first time it was brought home to me just what a difference a couple of hundred miles could make.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Brilliant germination from my PW French Blacks - nine out of nine are up, no Bloody Butchers yet
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• When did you sow them Two_Sheds?

Comment

• 11th Feb, so 10 days ago

Comment

• Do you give them any extra heat?

I gave up on my early Tamina and sowed some more on 15th. Seven of nine so far. (Geek reference )

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                Do you give them any extra heat?

I gave up on my early Tamina and sowed some more on 15th. Seven of nine so far. (Geek reference )
                sow say us all
                Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

• My toms had their first taste of the outside today. It was 10C against the house wall so I let them sunbathe.

They seemed to enjoy it.

Comment

• Gardeners Delight best as a bush or cordon? if either, then which is easiest to set up and harvest more successfully? going to start them off later today.
                    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
                      Gardeners Delight best as a bush or cordon?
                      more prolific as a cordon - train it up wires/taut string and make the most of vertical space
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-02-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• ok cool
                        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                          My toms had their first taste of the outside today. It was 10C against the house wall so I let them sunbathe.

They seemed to enjoy it.
                          I potted my toms on yesterday so they spend the rest of the afternoon in the greenhouse, inside temp was around 18c
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                            I potted my toms on yesterday so they spend the rest of the afternoon in the greenhouse, inside temp was around 18c
                            Wow. My house hardly ever gets that warm. Can I come and live in your greenhouse? I could guard your toms...

Comment

• Greenhouse is in full sun so its often warmer than the house, pity its not bigger or I could move in.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                                Greenhouse is in full sun so its often warmer than the house, pity its not bigger or I could move in.
                                Mmm, yess, bliss!

I was wondering about sowing times. How late is still "early", if you see what I mean?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X