No announcement yet.

The Early Tomato Sowing Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've had two nights with a min greenhouse temp of 12c then last night it went down to 5c so it looks like I'll be walking in and out a bit longer with my toms.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I walk in and out till mid May Bren! Got to here, near the chilly East Coast.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• It went down to 2.4c in my GH last night. Grumpy that I haven't got some of your temps.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I walk in and out till mid May Bren! Got to here, near the chilly East Coast.
          When I got my greenhouse Mr Pots thought that meant no more plants living temporary on the kitchen worktops and every window sill in the house

Comment

• Poor disillusioned Mr Pots.
            I think that's probably why Grumpy's so eager to help put them out

The thermometer says we've finally achieved 9° this morning but it's far too windy for them to go out. Dare I mention coldframes again?
            Last edited by Sylvan; 12-04-2011, 09:16 AM.
            The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Today I took the plunge and planted all of my early tomatoes in my new greenhouse on the lotty. All this talk of night time temperatures and suchlike has got me a bit nervous but they really were getting too big for my windowsill. Planted them good and deep cos they were a bit leggy and gave them a big drink.

Wish me luck!
              Last edited by hailtryfan; 13-04-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• One of our Galinas has set fruit - a whole 5 days earlier than last year. Sown 11 days earlier than last year. They really need putting in bigger pots - however when that happens, not sure how I'll squeeze em all in. It's also still too cold at night to leave em out. Argh. Did an inventory today and I have 52 toms and only room for 34, if I've worked it out right. It's ridiculous - there really is no need. It just has to stop.

Comment

• All of my tomato plants have been in my plastic greenhouse (one of the huge 6'x4' blowaway type with guy ropes) for the last two weeks. They've been growing along happily with no problems. I simply didn't have the room for them indoors.
                  I do Charity Wild food walks. Check out www.msitu.co.uk

Comment

• I have had 10 tomato plants outside in morrisons pots, and they are doing fine, although the temperature has gotten to 4.8 once, and is generally about 8 at night. There are flowers on most of them, although there arnt ant signs of fruit yet

Comment

• Down to 1.8 here last night - only 3. summat in the greenhouse. Still doing the morning and evening trudge - but the plants are looking great. Shame to risk it.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• I'm the same Flum and because my toms are now in 2lts pots they're taking up even more space in the kitchen, and to think Mr Pots thought me having a greenhouse would be the end of living with pots

Comment

• Just noticed my first tomato! how exciting.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	tom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2332049

Comment

• Nice one. Now tell me that sowing early tomatoes is not fun

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                              One of our Galinas has set fruit - a whole 5 days earlier than last year. Sown 11 days earlier than last year.
                              Originally posted by chengjing View Post
                              Just noticed my first tomato! how exciting.
                              When did you sow them?
                              The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• mine were sown 18/01 the variety is tumbling red

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X