No announcement yet.

The Early Tomato Sowing Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look forward to the first ripe tomato !

Comment

• First tomato spotted today (sown on 19th Jan)

1st tomato 2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you to Zazen for inspiring me, I really didn't think it would work
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I have a tomato, I have a tomato, will post piccie tomorrow (if camera can pick it up,its tiny) but I have a tomato,god I feel more excited than when I had my first son

Comment

• Im jealous of all you that started their toms in Jan etc. I didnt feel very inspired to grow this year as we had just moved house and I had the garden to sort out.

We were then offered an allotment and it got me all excited about growing again. Next year I am going to go tomato mad and grow every variety I can.

If anyone has any surplus seeds i'd be more than willing to take them off your hands!
          I hate slugs!!

Comment

• Mine are in 5" pots (should have been potted on about a week ago, but I haven't had time), they are 110CM tall, and have "Tomatoes" 1.5cm diameter. They are in an unheated conservatory, were brought in [but only to unheated utility corridor] on nights when Min temperature was below 10C (although there was a period when that didn't happen, and they did show some signs of cold, .. so they haven't been "fully mollycoddled")

They were sown at my normal time - mid February
            Last edited by Kristen; 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

• Well, we have our first ripened tomato. Broke our personal record. Last year it was 1st June. It's a Galina, yellow cherry and was sown mid Jan. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with one tomato though, but I am going to save the seed in the hope it will get even earlier next year.

Going away tomorrow so they're going to have to come inside into the shade. The FIL is watering stuff for us but there's just too much as it is, don't want it to be too faffy for him. I'd hoped to have them in the ground by now but it's been too windy to put the cover on our cheapo poly. Just hope a week in the shade doesn't set em back too much.

Comment

• Congratulations Shadylane

(*puts Galina on the ever-expanding list for next year )
                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Some of my tomato plants have got first few flowers. Is there anything I need to do or should I just let them grow?

Comment

• ^ jealous.
                    Last edited by chris; 26-05-2011, 01:00 PM. Reason: fixing the arrow, from left pointy to up pointy :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                      Mine are in 5" pots (should have been potted on about a week ago, but I haven't had time), they are 110CM tall, and have "Tomatoes" 1.5cm diameter. They are in an unheated conservatory, were brought in [but only to unheated utility corridor] on nights when Min temperature was below 10C (although there was a period when that didn't happen, and they did show some signs of cold, .. so they haven't been "fully mollycoddled")
                      They were sown at my normal time - mid February
                      Same as Kristen, almost...
                      I have flowering trusses and set tomatoes on all of mine sown normal time of beginning March. They are planted into my greenhouse and went in mid April I think.
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• 110cm That's nearly 4ft! I'm pleased none of mine are that tall - we'd have a great deal of difficulty moving them. The mid-February and March ones are still having to be brought into the kitchen most nights and even the ones sown at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb have to come in when the temperature drops below 5°C (or the wind gets too strong )
                        The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                          Well, we have our first ripened tomato.

Not sure what I'm supposed to do with one tomato though, .
                          WOW thats impressive - I've got some in flower and I thought THAT was good LOL

Eat it! Just pop it in you know you want to!!!
                          http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

• I know it's not exactly early sowing, but my Masotka's are flying in large pots, one of them has 2 vines set and one tomato is about 3/4 of an inch wide. That's from a sowing I think in March.
                            This could be a good early tomato.
                            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                              Well, we have our first ripened tomato.
                              Where have you grown it? Frankly, I'm staggered. Well done!
                              Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                              By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                              While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                              At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Like Womble not an early sowing as such my Sungold sown 26/02 now have four trusses set with the best toms just short of ping pong ball size.

Looks like it could be a good year for toms.

Colin
                                Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 26-05-2011, 09:44 PM.
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X