No announcement yet.

The Early Tomato Sowing Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps you could pick just one first and taste it, to see whether it's fully ripe?

(The Shirleys I used to grow were always red)
    Last edited by Sylvan; 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM.
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Like Sylvan I have always known Shirley as a red tomato.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• My first tomatoes on the red balconi plant, they are very quick and produce loads of flowers Wish my other tomatoes could catch up :P

Comment

• Just an update: this PW French Black has now overtaken the Auntie Madges (what a brilliant seed parcel this was, thanks you guys)
          Attached Files
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• *jealous*

Comment

• Don't be. It took me all day to pot them all on, take out the armpits, pot up the armpits (I don't feel able to compost them now I know they make viable plants), feed them, tie them in, and tell them all a bedtime story
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                However, the ones that are starting to change colour are those from cuttings of last year's. It's the way to go for extra early tomatoes I think.
                Please tell me more, I haven't heard of this method of growing tomatoes.

Comment

• My Sungold, sown 3/2, has 3 trusses now, with 6 tiny toms on the 1st truss.
                  I'm sure the PWFB and the Gardener's Delight would have been as advanced if they hadn't snapped, poor things.
                  The 2 Moneymakers, sown at the end of Jan, have 3 trusses each, but no baby toms yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hillwalker View Post
                    It's an armpit thing. You remove a side shoot (the shoot between the main stem and a branch) also known as an armpit, when it's a decent size and pop in some water until it roots. Keep it in the shade and not too hot. When it's rooted pot it up and keep inside on a windowsill over winter(remove from windowsill on cold nights). I've not done this yet but I might this autumn

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                      It's an armpit thing. You remove a side shoot (the shoot between the main stem and a branch) also known as an armpit, when it's a decent size and pop in some water until it roots. Keep it in the shade and not too hot. When it's rooted pot it up and keep inside on a windowsill over winter(remove from windowsill on cold nights). I've not done this yet but I might this autumn
                      Thanks for the reply Shadylane. Like others on this thread, every year I can't stop myself continuously potting side shoots, but I'd never heard of anyone potting them with the view to overwintering them. I'd imagine they'd have to be cut from the parent plant late in the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        I have toms set on all of my early toms now. However, the ones that are starting to change colour are those from cuttings of last year's. It's the way to go for extra early tomatoes I think.
                        Do you let these plants grow to full size? Or do you stop them at a truss or two?

So is it only one person with ripe toms so far?
                        Last edited by womble; 08-06-2011, 06:52 AM.
                        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

• I have 3 varieties changing colour now, I have had toms off my Latah, Shirley, and just noticed my sweet millions have a few pinkish ones on this morning
                          Last edited by Davyburns; 08-06-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hillwalker View Post
                            No it's not armpits. At the end of the season I took the top out of a couple of plants and rooted them in water. I grew them on the windowsill over the winter and of course they became leggy and a bit rubbish. I took the top shoot off again and re-rooted and planted. They look about the same size as my seed-grown ones of the same variety but they are much more mature.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Thanks Flum. That sounds worth a try up here too

Comment

• Thanks Flummery. I might give it a try to compare against regular methods. Out of curiosity, why the top and not the side shoots?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X