Is celery hard to grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can celery be grown in large pots?

The pic shows self-blanching celery growing in an old wheelbarrow. Bit bigger than a pot I know but the idea's the same.

I got a good crop after using the same compost for first early spuds. Just threw in a handful of BFB and planted nine celery plants. Picked small they were fine but did go stringy when left to grow. That's not a problem as I just pureed the stalks and used as a tasty soup base.

As others have said, water is the key. Don't just give celery a shower, give it a regular drenching.

my blog:the recycled gardener
    Attached Files

Comment

OH loves celery, but I found it quite difficult to grow also, and gave up on it.

Really like the container idea though, might give that a go this summer.
      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I've never grown celery and I do like a bit of a challenge. I got some free seeds last year, so I might have a go in the Spring.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Celery needs quite a bit of warmth to germinate, is a pain to prick out and is very slow growing in the initial stages. I grew a self balnching variety last year in a wooden box but I really lke the large 'blanched' which is quite labour intensive and susceptable to slug damage.

Might give it a try this year.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X