No announcement yet.

squash help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm planning to grow squashes in large tubs this year, the tubs are about 2 1/2' in diameter and about 2' deep so holds about 14litres of soil/compost by my calcualtions. Will I be able to squeeze two plants in each or only one?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Has anyone got any instructions regarding the pollination of the flowers? I wasnt too sure last year but managed to get a couple of small squash. I want to do it right this year! Which flower is which and which bit do you put in the other bit to pollinate it? Thanks! Bernie aka Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi DDL, as far as I know, the female flowers have a slight bulge behind the flower which develops into the fruit & the male flowers don't, just a stalk.You need to transfer the pollen from the stamens of the male to the stigma of the female ie. the yellow/orange powder from the ends of the tiny stems sticking up around the middle of the male flower to the top of the central stem in the centre of the female flower.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I plant them closer than that. I only have a veg patch in the garden - quite big but not the size of a full lottie. I 'squash' (groan) them in at about 2ft spacing. They scramble over each other but if you keep them well watered they grow away fine.
          what bush variety do you plant ?

Comment

Last year I used seeds from a supermarket Carnival squash. I like summat free - been living in Yorkshire too long! This year I'm also growing Sweet Dumpling.
            Last edited by Flummery; 20-03-2007, 07:04 PM.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              Last year I used seeds from a supermarket Carnival squash. I like summat free - been living in Yorkshire too long! This year I'm also growing Sweet Dumpling.
              I've just started some butternut squash off on the window sill they are called Winter can anyone tell me how big the plant may get. Should i give some to a friend who has an allotment.

Comment

Talking of butternut jobbies, what variety does folks recommend? I've decided to grow a few (well two should be enough) this year but as I've never grown them afore whats a good'un
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

I'm hoping to grow Butternut Squash using scooped out seeds from the Supermarket, up to yet 6 out of the 8 have popped their heads above the compost.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Nick, I grew Avalon last year - they were very nice, & healthy too.
                    http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                      Talking of butternut jobbies, what variety does folks recommend? I've decided to grow a few (well two should be enough) this year but as I've never grown them afore whats a good'un
                      OH brought me loads of seeds last year - so Im trying Wilkinsons Squash (winter) butternut this year. I'm sure they will be a success! Bernie aka Dexterdog
                      PS Have grown other Wilkinsons seeds and had no problems.
                      PPS Thanks SueA and Lesley for info on pollination.
                      Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 29-03-2007, 08:52 PM.
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hello Birdie Wife. I grew Butter Nut Squash Sprinter last year. I grew them in 12" pots filled with a mixture of compost and manure (50:50) They were great and got 3 0r 4 big squash to each plant. The spread in lenghth was about 8' but I believe they can be trained round in a circle to save space . Good luck with them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerneil View Post
                          What bush varieties would people here suggest ? I dont have room for a vine. I'm in Suffolk, and have a nice sunny position.
                          If you dont have room for a vine to grow sideways... you can stake them upwards on supports.
                          Last edited by wheatleys wheels; 29-03-2007, 10:52 PM.
                          Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by wheatleys wheels View Post
                            If you dont have room for a vine to grow sideways... you can stake them upwards on supports.
                            I've read about that - but looks a pain, little nets for the fruits etc etc. Would rather try a bush type, but finding it VERY hard to find one to try.

Comment

You can actually grow climbing things like squashes by winding the shoots round the main stem so they sort of grow in a circle. I do this with lots of squash and pumpkin types but I make sure I raise the fruits off the ground - just a bit of old tile is enough.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X