potaoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potaoes

when should i start planting my spuds? do i plant them all together or do earlies get planted before seconds and maincrop?
    a man needs something he can hold on to,
    a nine pound hammer or a woman like you,
    any one of these things will do.
    (ray lamontagne)

I believe it is quite common to plant earlies during easter and then the seconds a couple of weeks later and I think you can plant main crops until may. Someone with more experience will be along in a mo. I have planted some of my earlies the other day but saying that we had a slight frost this morning.

Comment

Also, WELCOME to the vine. Have fun

Comment

Hi Applecrack,
        Not really experienced, but ours haven't gone in yet. Waiting for a bit until the threat of frost is over. One of our Irish grapes said on another thread that their Dad planted on St Paddy's day, which is probably as good as any day.

I am trying to garden with the moon, and the book (Nick Kollerstrom Gardening by the Moon) reckons that Friday and Saturday 23rd and 24th March are root days, so might put ours in then, although we have earlies and main crop, so it will probably be staggered planting

I'm sure others with more experience will be along in a bit with better advice.
        Enjoy your gardening. See you around.

Comment

Hi Applecrack
          Generally speaking, you can plant whenever you feel like it and the weather will allow, but I've heard of both St Paddy's Day and Good Friday being used as guides. Just remember to keep the frost away from young shoots.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanks all, 24th sounds good as its my birthday, it gives me a week to prepare.
            a man needs something he can hold on to,
            a nine pound hammer or a woman like you,
            any one of these things will do.
            (ray lamontagne)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X