onions from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    .. size isn't important, it's what you do with it. How do they taste?
    Tsk, hussy . The kelsae onion which is the one most of the large exhibition onions are bred from is extremely sweet. Sliced raw on a cheese sandwich delicious. The variety I grow, - Ailsae - is a cross between Ailsa Craig and Kelsae is a tad nippy if eaten raw (understatement) but cooks really well. Plenty onion rings from a big onion

Comment

I can't grow onions very well at all (white rot in soil) but Kelsae do better than most for me. Still only apple size though
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My plot is badly affected with white rot also although I cleared the soil to a depth of a foot in my tunnel and imported some fresh soil that had never seen an onion. That was really hard work I have to say and cost a few quid too. (I will have to do it again some day. Contamination is inevitable)

Somewhere in my library of pics, I have a photo of some marshall showmaster grown from sets outside and also a pic of the remainder of the same batch grown in the tunnel. The difference is amazing and shows the benefit of growing inside. My uncle, - a pensioner, grows kelsae in two litre pots in his greenhouse to about 3lbs. It can be done. I have pics of them also. If I don't post them, give me a nudge.

Comment

If I had the room, I'd grow them in the gh too, but it's full to bursting with chillies & tomatoes

Maybe I'll keep some under fleece/cloches on the lotty
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-02-2011, 11:22 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks guysfor the replies

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X