Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cuc's, squash and courgette, can i make them climb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grenhouse View Post
    Would it work the other way, by growing squashes in buckets on the shed roof and letting them trail down?

steve
    I'd put a house brick or 2 in the bottom of your bucket for stability.

Originally posted by miker2d2 View Post
    might try a hanging basket after reading this thread, save some space
    It would have to be a big hanging basket if you don't want them to dry out every day. They are very trusty plants, plus they can get rather heavy when there carrying cucumbers/squash.
    Last edited by ginger ninger; 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I grew ridged cucumbers outdoors last year, and they were brilliant - really productive.

I've got a RHS book called Vegetables in a Small Garden, and that says that cucumbers and squashes can both be trained up screens or wall. I'd definitely give it a go.
      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post

I've got a RHS book ...that says that cucumbers and squashes can both be trained up screens
        Yes, provided they are trailing varieties. Bush courgettes cannot climb - they are kind of goblet shaped plants, with no trailing or climbing attributes whatsoever
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Yes, provided they are trailing varieties. Bush courgettes cannot climb - they are kind of goblet shaped plants, with no trailing or climbing attributes whatsoever
          Oops, yes - sorry, should have pointed that bit out.
          Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Hi all....gosh I dont get on for a few days and look at all your lovely replies......thanks very much!

Its good to know that the courgette being a bush wont climb, but more importantly wont trail all over the place as well, dont have room for a jungle.

As for b&q selling things early, I was obviously well and truly sucked in..... I had no plans what so ever to do cucs, courgettes and squash because of the lack of room so hadnt looked up sowing times etc. They are growing away quite nicely at the moment, I'll keep them in the window for as long as possible then try and find room in my little plastic greenhouse thingy.....do you think this will give them enough protection?

Very steep learning curve this year.....the main thing I've learnt already is.....you might get away with an early sowing of toms, chills etc, but dont even think of peas and runner beans......I obviously hadnt thought it through properly as I now have lovely pea and bean plants in the kitchen, growing away happily with nowhere to go

Grenhouse...interesting point....growing downwards...I like it....dont think hubby would though as hes just fixed the shed roof

Anyway...thanks a lot guys, I'll find some sort of suppport for these plants as long as they survive the next month or so.

x

Comment

Some varieties of pea ae hardy. Do you know what variety you have?
              The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

hi giggler, a lot depends on where you are, i'm on the lancs/yorks border and not thinking of sowing/planting anything,my uncle lives in devon and his carrots are growing fine, if you can protect them from frost give them a go keep a record of what you do for reference, if it doesn't work first time do it different the next time,don't look on it as failure.

Comment

Originally posted by giggler View Post
                  Hi all....gosh I dont get on for a few days and look at all your lovely replies......thanks very much!

Its good to know that the courgette being a bush wont climb, but more importantly wont trail all over the place as well, dont have room for a jungle.

As for b&q selling things early, I was obviously well and truly sucked in..... I had no plans what so ever to do cucs, courgettes and squash because of the lack of room so hadnt looked up sowing times etc. They are growing away quite nicely at the moment, I'll keep them in the window for as long as possible then try and find room in my little plastic greenhouse thingy.....do you think this will give them enough protection?

Very steep learning curve this year.....the main thing I've learnt already is.....you might get away with an early sowing of toms, chills etc, but dont even think of peas and runner beans......I obviously hadnt thought it through properly as I now have lovely pea and bean plants in the kitchen, growing away happily with nowhere to go

Grenhouse...interesting point....growing downwards...I like it....dont think hubby would though as hes just fixed the shed roof

Anyway...thanks a lot guys, I'll find some sort of suppport for these plants as long as they survive the next month or so.

x
                  Peas are fine now, runner beans are not but broad beans are. As peas are hardier than runners, they can be hardened off over a week and can go outside. I have peas that have germinated in a cold greenhouse in the last couple of weeks.

It might help if you put your location into your profile, as it really does make a difference.

Bush courgettes, won't trail but they will need a big planter and lots and lots of water once they get going. All green bush takes up a good mater of space once the summer is here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X