Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed potato problem

Hi all
    Hope you can help me with this one! I bought some Charlotte sees potato's from B&Q about a month ago. I put them somwhere cool and dark as it was too early to chit or plant them. Pulled them out today and - shock, horror - they have goen softish, wrinkled and have white sprouts coming out of them. I know, from what Ive read, that chit sprouts are dark. These are like sprouts that happen when you find an old spud at the back of the cupboard (who me ?? )
    I need to know if they are still OK to plant out as usual and should I remove the white sprouts and chit as usual?
    I am hoping they are OK as we love Charlottes and may not be able to get anymore this late.

Thanks in anticipation all

Sam xx

Don't pull the sprouts off Sam. If you put them somewhere light they will green up, or you can plant them as they are - just be careful not to knock the sprouts off. If you do, the plants won't grow.

Comment

Don't worry at all Sam, I always chit my potato's in the dark. Yes the sprouts are white but they come up stronger looking for light.

Darren.

Comment

Hi Sam, I had the 'sprouting in a dark cupboard' thing last year, but they turned out ok - not great. This year, I've got some Pentland Javelin which I've been trying to get to chit in a light, cool place, in egg boxes. After a month, nothing's happened.

Does anyone know - are they duds ? Should I plant them anyway ?? (Or chuck 'em. javelin style, and get some others)
        http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
        http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

Originally posted by greenlung View Post
          Hi Sam, I had the 'sprouting in a dark cupboard' thing last year, but they turned out ok - not great. This year, I've got some Pentland Javelin which I've been trying to get to chit in a light, cool place, in egg boxes. After a month, nothing's happened.

Does anyone know - are they duds ? Should I plant them anyway ?? (Or chuck 'em. javelin style, and get some others)
          my pentland javelin are slow to chit this year so dont give up

Comment

greenlung. Be patient, its still cold at night, I never worry to much about chitting, you will find they will still grow OK.

Comment

As the others say...you'll both be fine!
              Maybe you should now do what each other has done for the next week or so to compensate ??
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by greenlung View Post

I also had some pentland javelin that refused to chit, I put them in today anyway. I know this doesn't really help you but its always nice to know your not alone.

Comment

Many thanks to you all. I have taken the pots from their dark place and they are in the light now. Im so glad I can still plant them as Charlottes are our favourite.
                  My earlies are nicely chitted and going into tubs as soon as the cold spell is over and then the Charlottes are going in, into the veg plot. Im hoping planting this way will give us lovely pots right through summer.
                  Hope everyone elses go all right and thanks again

Sam xx

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbo View Post
                    my pentland javelin are slow to chit this year so dont give up
                    So are mine - just checked them and the chits are about 2mm.

Comment

I specifically DIDN'T want to chit my maincrops this year so was advised to put them somewhere cool and dark - suprise suprise i pulled them out of the cupboard last week to find huge white shoots!!

I've put them all out in the light with the chitted earlies and the white shoots have started to colour up and they seem to be fine. I don't think it will impact dramatically on the yield.

Is there a way to 'prevent' them from chitting? They always arrive at least a month too early to plant?
                      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                      Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
                        I specifically DIDN'T want to chit my maincrops this year so was advised to put them somewhere cool and dark - suprise suprise i pulled them out of the cupboard last week to find huge white shoots!!

I've put them all out in the light with the chitted earlies and the white shoots have started to colour up and they seem to be fine. I don't think it will impact dramatically on the yield.

Is there a way to 'prevent' them from chitting? They always arrive at least a month too early to plant?
                        I think your best bet is always to store them ready for planting in the light. That way if they do chit at least they will have strong green sprouts.

To delay the chitting you need to keep them just a say frost free, the higher the temp above 40 deg F the more likelyhood of chitting!

Thats what I do anyway, and it seems to work for me!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X