Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerusalem Artichokes

Hi all,

First time growing these this year. I have bought some tubers which are showing shoots in them. Is it good to plant them now or should I put them in small pots ready to transplant in a few weeks when it warms up?

thanks

Steve

I've just been digging mine up to use but I still have some in a large pot for next year. It's the ideal time to plant them, give them plenty of room and avoid planting them where you don't want long, tall shadows on your other crops. Mine grew over 14ft tall... there from the sunflower family, which I might add I didn't know when I planted mine . They looked great, have nice sunflower type flowers (not as big) and attracted lot's of ladybirds .
    If I'd known you wanted to grow them grenhouse I could have let you have some of mine.
    Last edited by ginger ninger; 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Made a raised bed and planted mine out a few days ago. It is a 4' X 4' bed and I planted about 60/70 tubers. Probably a few to many but I had nowhere else for them to go. I still have a load of smaller tubers, will have to put them in the council recycling as they wont compost.

Ian

Comment

I restrict them to a couple of large (half barrel) containers... bit of a drag having to water them in the drier season but at least I know where they are!

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
          Made a raised bed and planted mine out a few days ago. It is a 4' X 4' bed and I planted about 60/70 tubers. Probably a few to many but I had nowhere else for them to go. I still have a load of smaller tubers, will have to put them in the council recycling as they wont compost.

Ian
          Put them up for swaps. If you don't need seeds ask for a self addressed padded envelope with a large letter stamp on it. Soooo much better than re-cycle bin. I put my spare ones up for Large letter stamp (I have lot's of padded envelopes) on here and they went like hot cakes.

Comment

I have left what I did not eat in the ground so expect bumper crops this year.
            Hope I have done the right thing or am I meant to dig them all up and replant?
            Last edited by greengas; 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM.
            http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I got absolutely loads from 5 tubers - growing for the Army, Gojiberry?
              They are fine to leave in the ground Greengas - but they will need thinning out from the original clump as they do get crowded. Plus they multiply up a lot, so you may be compounding a problem.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

appreciate the reply guys. I won't get to lottie before next saturday so will put them in then. Thanks for that ginger ninger, more of an impulse buy when I went to Brigg Garden centre after the auction. £2.70 for 5 tubers I think. I think I have an ideal spot for them, and they should do a great job of hiding the compost bins by the sound of it!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  I got absolutely loads from 5 tubers - growing for the Army, Gojiberry?
                  They are fine to leave in the ground Greengas - but they will need thinning out from the original clump as they do get crowded. Plus they multiply up a lot, so you may be compounding a problem.
                  Thanks will do that, I am still not sure what I make of the taste I like it but can not say why or explain flavour. Going to look up more recipes this year as I have only ever mashed them and mixed with creme fraich, salt and pepper
                  http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X